Our Graduate Success Stories
My personal experience at Herzing was a good one; I enjoyed and benefitted from all of my courses and was happy with the up-to-date technology offered in my CAD classes
Brookfield - Insurance Billing and Coding Specialist Programs
ACCREDITATION AND CERTIFICATION/LICENSURE
- Regional Accreditation: Herzing University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association (HLC-NCA, 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, Illinois 60604-1413, 800-621-7440, www.ncahlc.org). This means all students attending Herzing University are attending an accredited institution
- State Approval: All programs at the Brookfield Campus of Herzing University are approved by State of Wisconsin Educational Approval Board (P.O. Box 8696, Madison, Wisconsin 53708-8696, 608 266-1996, www.eab.state.wi.us).
- Nursing: The Bachelor of Science in Nursing at the Brookfield/Kenosha Campuses is approved by the Wisconsin Board of Nursing (1400 East Washington Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53703, 608-266-2112, dsps.wi.gov/). Consequently, graduates are eligible to sit for the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCLEX-RN) licensing exam upon successful completion of the program. Passing this exam allows graduates to apply to the State Board of Nursing for licensure as a Registered Nurse. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing program at the Brookfield/Kenosha Campuses is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE, One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530 Washington, DC 20036-1120, 202-887-6791, www.aacn.nche.edu/ccne-accreditation).
- Medical Assisting Services: Graduates of the Diploma in Medical Assisting Services and the Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Services at the Brookfield Campus are eligible to take the Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) examination offered through the American Registry of Medical Assistants. The programs are not programmatically accredited by either the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES, 7777 Leesburg Pike, Suite 314 North Falls Church, Virginia 22043, 703-917-9503, www.abhes.org) or the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP, 1361 Park Street Clearwater, Florida 33756, 727 210-2350 www.caahep.org). The program has plans to apply for accreditation through ABHES. No representation is made as to when or if such an accreditation will be obtained. New and current students should not plan on the program having said accreditation at the time they graduate. Lack of either of these accreditations means graduates are not eligible to take the Certified Medical Assistant examination offered through the American Association of Medical Assistants. Some employers may prefer applicants from programs having either ABHES or CAAHEP accreditation or applicants with the CMA certification. Students are advised to consult with employers of preference as to the importance of these accreditations or the CMA certification on their hiring decisions.
- Health Information Management: The Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management and the Associate of Science in Health Information Management programs offered online by Herzing University are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM, 233 North Michigan Avenue, 31st Floor, Chicago, Illinois 60601-5800 312-233-1100 www.cahiim.org). Students enrolling through this campus must take their core HIM courses online. Graduates of the Associate of Science in Health Information Management are eligible to take the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) certification exam and graduates from the Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management are eligible to take the Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) certification exam both offered through the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
- Legal Studies: Graduates of the Associate of Science in Legal Studies and the Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies programs available online at the Brookfield Campus are eligible to take the Certified Paralegal examination through the Association of Legal Assistants (www.nala.org ). The programs are not programmatically approved by the American Bar Association (ABA, 321 North Clark Street Chicago, Illinois 60654-7598, 800-285-2221, www.americanbar.org). There are no plans to seek this approval for these online programs. Some employers may prefer graduates from an ABA approved program. Students are advised to consult with employers of preference as to the importance of this approval on their hiring decisions
- Accounting: The Bachelor of Science in Accounting program at Herzing University, even when combined with the Herzing University MBA, may not fulfill all of the requirements for a graduate to take the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam or apply for licensure as a CPA in some states/jurisdictions. In addition to requiring a specific amount of study beyond a bachelor’s degree (typically, a total of 150 semester credit hours but this varies by jurisdiction), most states/jurisdictions require specific coursework as well as several years of professional experience working in accounting to be eligible to apply for licensure. Some states (including, but not necessarily limited to, Texas) require the accounting program to have a specific programmatic accreditation for graduates to apply for licensure as a CPA, which Herzing University programs do not have, and no representation has been made as to when or if such an accreditation will be obtained. Applicants interested in becoming a CPA should check with their state Board of Accountancy regarding CPA eligibility requirements prior to enrolling in any accounting program. Students planning to pursue certifications other than the CPA exam should also contact the respective certifying organization to confirm requirements for certification prior to enrolling in any accounting program.
- Other Programs: No other programs at this campus have specialized programmatic accreditation. Students are advised to consult with employers of preference as to the importance of specialized programmatic accreditation on their hiring decisions
The Insurance Billing and Coding Specialist programs at Herzing University are focused on providing graduates with the specific skills and capabilities they will need to succeed as billers and coders in doctors’ offices, home healthcare services, outpatient care centers, hospitals, and nursing and residential care facilities. This includes a strong understanding of anatomy & physiology and different coding programs and procedures.
Insurance Billing and Coding Specialist Program Comparison Chart
Program availability varies by location.
|Diploma in Insurance Billing and Coding Specialist||44||12|
|Associate and Associate of Applied Science in Insurance Billing and Coding Specialist||61||20|
|Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management||124||36|
Diploma in Insurance Billing and Coding Specialist
This diploma program is the first step in launching your career in medical billing and coding. Graduates are prepared for entry-level positions as medical billing specialists, medical coders, and insurance claims analysts. Download Program Course Sheet
Associate and Associate of Applied Science in Insurance Billing and Coding Specialist
This program takes what you learned in the diploma program and adds the general education classes needed for an associate degree. This provides more career flexibility and better chances for advancement. Download Program Course Sheet
Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management
Graduates of the bachelor program will have the most career opportunity as well as the best potential for advancement. Not only do they have all the basics of coding, health sciences and general education, they also have business, accounting and management skills high-level management requires and will be prepared for management positions in the area of medical records and health information documentation. This program has a blended delivery, so some classes will be taught at the campus and some online (or entirely online, if the student chooses, except for the internship). Download Program Course Sheet
The Herzing University Insurance Billing and Coding programs are designed to prepare students for the following certifications:
- CCA Certified Coding Associate
- CCS Certified Coding Specialists
- CCS-P Certified Coding Professional (physician-based)