|Date:||Call your campus for upcoming dates|
|Course Number:||CE 0045|
|Course Name:||Certification in Sealant Application for Dental Auxiliary|
|Prerequisite(s):||Dental assisting license; CPR certification; proof of liability insurance; and required immunizations|
|Course Type:||Lecture and discussion - 3 clock hours
Lab/Clinical - 6 clock hours
This course is designed to prepare the licensed dental assistant to properly apply pit and fissure sealants in the dental practice.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explain how sealants work.
- Recognize anatomic landmarks on the teeth that influence sealant placement.
- Explain the different kinds of sealant material.
- Identify indications and contraindications for the placement of sealants.
- State the criteria for an ideal sealant.
- Identify the composition of the etching agent.
- Describe the procedure for the application of the etching material.
- Identify etching times for primary, permanent, and flourosed teeth.
- Determine the armamentarium needed to place sealants.
- Practice infection control and moisture control guidelines when placing sealants.
- Demonstrate the placement of sealants in the laboratory setting.
- Demonstrate the placement of sealants in the clinical setting.
- Perform a self evaluation of the success of sealant placement.
- Educate patients about sealants.
Required Texts or other supplemental materials:
Lecture materials will be provided to the student.
- Lab-four surfaces
- Clinical competencies of two patients
- Anatomy of Pits and Fissures
- Types of Sealant Materials
- Indications for Use
- Contraindications for Use
- Composition and Chemical Characteristics (includes etchant)
- Patient Education
- Care, Storage, and Precaution
- Instructor Demonstration
- Procedure on Green Teeth—Two Surfaces
- Check-Offs by Instructor
- Introduction to Lab
- Review of Proper Infection-Control Guidelines
- Seat Patient, Review Medical History, and Patient Examination
- Procedure (1 practice and 1 competency)
- Evaluation of Sealants Placed