New Orleans - Human Resource Programs
ACCREDITATION AND CERTIFICATION/LICENSURE
New Orleans Campus
- Regional Accreditation: Herzing University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association (HLC-NCA, 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, Illinois 60604-1413, 800-621-7440, www.ncahlc.org). This means all students attending Herzing University are attending an accredited institution.
- State Approval: The New Orleans Campus of Herzing University is licensed by the State of Louisiana Board of Regents (1201 North Third Street, Suite 6-200, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70802, 225-342-4253, www.regents.louisiana.gov) and adheres to the rules and regulations of the Louisiana Proprietary Schools Advisory Commission.
- Surgical Technology: The Associate of Science Surgical Technology program at the New Orleans Campus is accredited by Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES, 7777 Leesburg Pike, Suite 314 North Falls Church, Virginia 22043, 703-917-9503, www.abhes.org). Consequently, graduates are eligible to take the Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) examination offered by The National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting.
- Medical Assisting Services: The Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Services program at the New Orleans Campus is accredited by Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES, 7777 Leesburg Pike, Suite 314 North Falls Church, Virginia 22043, 703-917-9503, www.abhes.org). Consequently, graduates are eligible to take the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) certification exam offered by the American Association of Medical Assistants.
- Legal Assisting/Paralegal: Graduates of the Associate of Science in Legal Assisting/Paralegal and the Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies programs at the New Orleans Campus are eligible to take the Certified Paralegal examination through the National Association of Legal Assistants (www.nala.org). The Associate of Science in Legal Assisting/Paralegal and the Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies programs at the New Orleans Campus are approved by the American Bar Association (ABA, 321 North Clark Street Chicago, Illinois 60654-7598, 800-285-2221, www.americanbar.org).
- Health Information Management: The Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management and the Associate of Science in Health Information Management programs offered online by Herzing University are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM, 233 North Michigan Avenue, 31st Floor, Chicago, Illinois 60601-5800 312-233-1100 www.cahiim.org). Students enrolling through this campus must take their core HIM courses online. Graduates of the Associate of Science in Health Information Management are eligible to take the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) certification exam and graduates from the Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management are eligible to take the Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) certification exam both offered through the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
- Accounting: The Bachelor of Science in Accounting program at Herzing University, even when combined with the Herzing University MBA, may not fulfill all of the requirements for a graduate to take the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam or apply for licensure as a CPA in some states/jurisdictions. In addition to requiring a specific amount of study beyond a bachelor’s degree (typically, a total of 150 semester credit hours but this varies by jurisdiction), most states/jurisdictions require specific coursework as well as several years of professional experience working in accounting to be eligible to apply for licensure. Some states (including, but not necessarily limited to, Texas) require the accounting program to have a specific programmatic accreditation for graduates to apply for licensure as a CPA, which Herzing University programs do not have, and no representation has been made as to when or if such an accreditation will be obtained. Applicants interested in becoming a CPA should check with their state Board of Accountancy regarding CPA eligibility requirements prior to enrolling in any accounting program. Students planning to pursue certifications other than the CPA exam should also contact the respective certifying organization to confirm requirements for certification prior to enrolling in any accounting program.
- Other Programs: No other programs at this campus have specialized programmatic accreditation. Students are advised to consult with employers of preference as to the importance of specialized programmatic accreditation on their hiring decisions.
As part of Herzing’s well-regarded business programs, the Bachelor of Science in Business Management with a Concentration in Human Resource Development degree incorporates a focus on human resources as part of the core skill package critical to success. Students gain the capabilities needed to handle a wide range of responsibilities. Graduates are prepared for positions as office managers, human resource staff, and employee recruiters as well as payroll, healthcare and safety administrators.
Human Resource Program Comparison Chart
Program availability varies by location.
|Associate and Associate of Applied Science in Business Management||62||20|
|Bachelor of Science in Business Management with a Concentration in Human Resource Development||123||36|
Associate and Associate of Applied Science in Business Management
This associate degree program includes many of the general education and core business courses required for the Human Resource Development bachelor's degree. The coursework rolls directly into the higher-level program. Students gain the fundamentals of how business is conducted as well as the different skill sets needed to run a successful organization. Graduates are prepared for entry-level positions in virtually any business-related position in any sector. Download Program Course Sheet
Bachelor of Science in Business Management with a Concentration in Human Resource Development
The bachelor degree program is designed to prepare graduates for the many important roles played by human resources in today’s business environment. Students learn how to build and maintain employee productivity while gaining a solid skill base in business and financial management. Graduates are prepared for entry-level human resource management positions in the areas of employee staffing, recruitment and selection, compensation and benefits, training, and employee relations. Download Program Course Sheet