Our Graduate Success Stories
New Orleans Testimonials
I chose my bachelor’s in business administration because the business arena is an ever-changing one and I felt that the staff here at Herzing could equip me with the necessary tools to be a force to be reckoned with in the business world.
New Orleans - Legal Assisting / Paralegal Programs
ACCREDITATION AND CERTIFICATION/LICENSURE
New Orleans Campus
- Regional Accreditation: Herzing University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association (HLC-NCA, 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, Illinois 60604-1413, 800-621-7440, www.ncahlc.org). This means all students attending Herzing University are attending an accredited institution.
- State Approval: The New Orleans Campus of Herzing University is licensed by the State of Louisiana Board of Regents (1201 North Third Street, Suite 6-200, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70802, 225-342-4253, www.regents.louisiana.gov) and adheres to the rules and regulations of the Louisiana Proprietary Schools Advisory Commission.
- Surgical Technology: The Associate of Science Surgical Technology program at the New Orleans Campus is accredited by Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES, 7777 Leesburg Pike, Suite 314 North Falls Church, Virginia 22043, 703-917-9503, www.abhes.org). Consequently, graduates are eligible to take the Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) examination offered by The National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting.
- Medical Assisting Services: The Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Services program at the New Orleans Campus is accredited by Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES, 7777 Leesburg Pike, Suite 314 North Falls Church, Virginia 22043, 703-917-9503, www.abhes.org). Consequently, graduates are eligible to take the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) certification exam offered by the American Association of Medical Assistants.
- Legal Assisting/Paralegal: Graduates of the Associate of Science in Legal Assisting/Paralegal and the Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies programs at the New Orleans Campus are eligible to take the Certified Paralegal examination through the National Association of Legal Assistants (www.nala.org). The Associate of Science in Legal Assisting/Paralegal and the Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies programs at the New Orleans Campus are approved by the American Bar Association (ABA, 321 North Clark Street Chicago, Illinois 60654-7598, 800-285-2221, www.americanbar.org).
- Health Information Management: The Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management and the Associate of Science in Health Information Management programs offered online by Herzing University are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM, 233 North Michigan Avenue, 31st Floor, Chicago, Illinois 60601-5800 312-233-1100 www.cahiim.org). Students enrolling through this campus must take their core HIM courses online. Graduates of the Associate of Science in Health Information Management are eligible to take the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) certification exam and graduates from the Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management are eligible to take the Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) certification exam both offered through the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
- Accounting: The Bachelor of Science in Accounting program at Herzing University, even when combined with the Herzing University MBA, may not fulfill all of the requirements for a graduate to take the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam or apply for licensure as a CPA in some states/jurisdictions. In addition to requiring a specific amount of study beyond a bachelor’s degree (typically, a total of 150 semester credit hours but this varies by jurisdiction), most states/jurisdictions require specific coursework as well as several years of professional experience working in accounting to be eligible to apply for licensure. Some states (including, but not necessarily limited to, Texas) require the accounting program to have a specific programmatic accreditation for graduates to apply for licensure as a CPA, which Herzing University programs do not have, and no representation has been made as to when or if such an accreditation will be obtained. Applicants interested in becoming a CPA should check with their state Board of Accountancy regarding CPA eligibility requirements prior to enrolling in any accounting program. Students planning to pursue certifications other than the CPA exam should also contact the respective certifying organization to confirm requirements for certification prior to enrolling in any accounting program.
- Other Programs: No other programs at this campus have specialized programmatic accreditation. Students are advised to consult with employers of preference as to the importance of specialized programmatic accreditation on their hiring decisions.
Only the Herzing University paralegal programs at New Orleans and Atlanta are approved by the American Bar Association. See http://www.herzing.edu/about/accreditation
Legal Assisting/Paralegal Program Comparison Chart
Program availability varies by location.
|Associate and Associate of Applied Science in Legal Assisting, Paralegal||66||20|
|Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies||126||36|
Note: The Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies program at the Atlanta Campus, the Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies program at the New Orleans Campus, the Associate of Science in Legal Assisting/Paralegal program at the Atlanta Campus, and the Associate of Science in Legal Assisting/Paralegal program at the New Orleans Campus are approved by the American Bar Association (ABA). The ABA can be contacted at (800) 285-2221 or www.abanet.org. The Atlanta and New Orleans legal studies and legal assisting/paralegal programs are not online programs so all Legal (PL) courses must be taken on ground and a minimum of 10 semester hours of legal specialty courses must be taken at the Atlanta or New Orleans campus.
Associate and Associate of Applied of Science in Legal Assisting/Paralegal
The program prepares students with the skills and academic knowledge necessary for a career as a legal assistant/paralegal working under the supervision of a licensed attorney.
The American Bar Association defines a paralegal as “a person qualified by education, training or work experience who is employed or retained by a lawyer, law office, corporation, governmental agency or other entity and who performs specifically delegated substantive legal work for which a lawyer is responsible.” These career opportunities may be in small or large firms working as a legal assistant/paralegal.
The duties of a legal assistant/paralegal include assisting the lawyer with research, brief preparation, and other legal office administration, but do not include practicing law, advising clients, or setting fees since paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the public except as permitted by law. Download Program Course Sheet
Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies
Designed to provide students with a more advanced understanding of law, this program also incorporates a selection of core business courses to provide a solid background in management and administration. Graduates are prepared for careers in legal assistance, legal administration, business and management training. This degree is also ideal for those wishing to continue on to law school. Download Program Course Sheet
The information below reflects aggregated data from all of the Herzing University campuses that have students enrolled in the specified program in the specified time period. The information does not reflect data regarding individual campuses unless only one campus had students to report. The reporting period used to obtain this data was 7/1/2012-6/30/2013. If there were less than 10 graduates in a program, median loan debt and on-time completion data were not disclosed for that program to protect the privacy of those students. Tuition and length may vary by campus location. Ranges could not be input for tuition and length, therefore tuition and length reported are the highest tuition rates and longest program length to encompass all campuses. For information regarding specific campus tuition please refer to http://www.herzing.edu/tuition-financial-aid . For a more detailed description of how the data was calculated please refer to the Disclosure Methodology located here http://www.herzing.edu/files/2014Disclosures-Methodology.pdf .
ASSOCIATE OF SCIENCE & ASSOCIATE OF APPLIED SCIENCE IN LEGAL ASSISTING AND PARALEGAL
Only the Herzing University paralegal programs at New Orleans and Atlanta are approved by the American Bar Association.
Graduates of the Herzing University Associate in Legal Assisting/Paralegal and Bachelor's in Legal Studies degrees will have met the educational requirement for the following certification opportunities:
- National Association Of Legal Assistants (NALA): Certified Legal Assistant (CLA) and Certified Paralegal (CP) – This exam is given over a two-day period and requires comprehensive knowledge of federal law and procedure.
Graduates of the Associate of Science in Legal Assisting/Paralegal or the Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies programs at the Atlanta or New Orleans Campuses of Herzing University are eligible to take the Certified Paralegal examination offered by the National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA).