Our Graduate Success Stories
Thanks to Herzing University Online and the supportive staff, I feel like the sky is the limit for me and my family. Thank you, thank you, and thank you.
ACCREDITATION AND CERTIFICATION/LICENSURE
- Regional Accreditation: Herzing University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association (HLC-NCA, 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, Illinois 60604-1413, 800-621-7440, www.ncahlc.org). This means all students attending Herzing University are attending an accredited institution.
- Wisconsin State Approval: All programs offered through Herzing University Online are approved by State of Wisconsin Educational Approval Board (P.O. Box 8696, Madison, Wisconsin 53708-8696, 608 266-1996, www.eab.state.wi.us).
- Other State Approvals for Distance Learning: Herzing University has made a good-faith effort to follow each individual state's regulations concerning offering distance educational programs in that respective state. Students should investigate and ensure that the program they desire, if offered in a distance/online format, meets the requirements of the profession in their state. Herzing University is not enrolling new students in the following states: Arkansas, District of Columbia and Wyoming. Not all programs are available in all states. Contact the Online Admissions Office for program availability at firstname.lastname@example.org or 866-508-0748.
- Nursing programs: The Bachelor of Science in Nursing—Bridge and the Master of Science in Nursing programs offered by Herzing University Online are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE, One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530 Washington, DC 20036-1120, 202-887-6791, www.aacn.nche.edu/ccne-accreditation.) Individuals considering the Master of Science in Nursing program—particularly the Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) concentration—should be aware that state requirements for availability of required clinical courses and eligibility to apply for licensure as a family nurse practitioner vary from state to state. Applicants should check with their applicable state board of nursing before enrolling in any graduate nursing program. For additional information, e-mail your questions to email@example.com.
- Medical Assisting Services: The Diploma in Medical Assisting Services and the Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Services programs offered through Herzing University Online are accredited by Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES, 7777 Leesburg Pike, Suite 314 North Falls Church, Virginia 22043, 703-917-9503, www.abhes.org). Consequently, graduates are eligible to take the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) certification exam offered by the American Association of Medical Assistants.
- Health Information Management: The Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management and the Associate of Science in Health Information Management programs offered through Herzing University Online are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM, 233 North Michigan Avenue, 31st Floor, Chicago, Illinois 60601-5800 312-233-1100 www.cahiim.org). Graduates of the Associate of Science in Health Information Management from Herzing University Online are eligible to take the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) certification exam and graduates from the Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management are eligible to take the Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) certification exam both offered through the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
- Legal Studies: Graduates of the Associate of Science in Legal Studies and the Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies programs available online from Herzing University Online are eligible to take the Certified Paralegal examination through the Association of Legal Assistants (www.nala.org). These online programs are not programmatically approved by the American Bar Association (ABA, 321 North Clark Street Chicago, Illinois 60654-7598, 800-285-2221, www.americanbar.org). There are no plans to seek this approval for these online programs. Some employers may prefer graduates from an ABA approved program. Students are advised to consult with employers of preference as to the importance of this approval on their hiring decisions.
- Accounting: The Bachelor of Science in Accounting program at Herzing University, even when combined with the Herzing University MBA, may not fulfill all of the requirements for a graduate to take the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam or apply for licensure as a CPA in some states/jurisdictions. In addition to requiring a specific amount of study beyond a bachelor’s degree (typically, a total of 150 semester credit hours but this varies by jurisdiction), most states/jurisdictions require specific coursework as well as several years of professional experience working in accounting to be eligible to apply for licensure. Some states (including, but not necessarily limited to, Texas) require the accounting program to have a specific programmatic accreditation for graduates to apply for licensure as a CPA, which Herzing University programs do not have, and no representation has been made as to when or if such an accreditation will be obtained. Applicants interested in becoming a CPA should check with their state Board of Accountancy regarding CPA eligibility requirements prior to enrolling in any accounting program. Students planning to pursue certifications other than the CPA exam should also contact the respective certifying organization to confirm requirements for certification prior to enrolling in any accounting program.
- Other Programs: No other programs at this campus have specialized programmatic accreditation. Students are advised to consult with employers of preference as to the importance of specialized programmatic accreditation on their hiring decisions.
Only the Herzing University paralegal programs at New Orleans and Atlanta are approved by the American Bar Association. See http://www.herzing.edu/about/accreditation
Legal Assisting/Paralegal Program Comparison Chart
Program availability varies by location.
|Associate and Associate of Applied Science in Legal Assisting, Paralegal||66||20|
|Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies||126||36|
Note: The Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies program at the Atlanta Campus, the Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies program at the New Orleans Campus, the Associate of Science in Legal Assisting/Paralegal program at the Atlanta Campus, and the Associate of Science in Legal Assisting/Paralegal program at the New Orleans Campus are approved by the American Bar Association (ABA). The ABA can be contacted at (800) 285-2221 or www.abanet.org. The Atlanta and New Orleans legal studies and legal assisting/paralegal programs are not online programs so all Legal (PL) courses must be taken on ground and a minimum of 10 semester hours of legal specialty courses must be taken at the Atlanta or New Orleans campus.
Associate and Associate of Applied of Science in Legal Assisting/Paralegal
The program prepares students with the skills and academic knowledge necessary for a career as a legal assistant/paralegal working under the supervision of a licensed attorney.
The American Bar Association defines a paralegal as “a person qualified by education, training or work experience who is employed or retained by a lawyer, law office, corporation, governmental agency or other entity and who performs specifically delegated substantive legal work for which a lawyer is responsible.” These career opportunities may be in small or large firms working as a legal assistant/paralegal.
The duties of a legal assistant/paralegal include assisting the lawyer with research, brief preparation, and other legal office administration, but do not include practicing law, advising clients, or setting fees since paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the public except as permitted by law. Download Program Course Sheet
Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies
Designed to provide students with a more advanced understanding of law, this program also incorporates a selection of core business courses to provide a solid background in management and administration. Graduates are prepared for careers in legal assistance, legal administration, business and management training. This degree is also ideal for those wishing to continue on to law school. Download Program Course Sheet
The information below reflects aggregated data from all of the Herzing University campuses that have students enrolled in the specified program in the specified time period. The information does not reflect data regarding individual campuses unless only one campus had students to report. The reporting period used to obtain this data was 7/1/2012-6/30/2013. If there were less than 10 graduates in a program, median loan debt and on-time completion data were not disclosed for that program to protect the privacy of those students. Tuition and length may vary by campus location. Ranges could not be input for tuition and length, therefore tuition and length reported are the highest tuition rates and longest program length to encompass all campuses. For information regarding specific campus tuition please refer to http://www.herzing.edu/tuition-financial-aid . For a more detailed description of how the data was calculated please refer to the Disclosure Methodology located here http://www.herzing.edu/files/2014Disclosures-Methodology.pdf .
ASSOCIATE OF SCIENCE IN LEGAL STUDIES
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN LEGAL STUDIES
Graduates of the Associate of Science in Legal Studies or the Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies programs are eligible to take the Certifeid Paralegal examination offered by the National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA).