ACCREDITATION AND CERTIFICATION/LICENSURE
- Regional Accreditation: Herzing University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association (HLC-NCA, 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, Illinois 60604-1413, 800-621-7440, www.ncahlc.org). This means all students attending Herzing University are attending an accredited institution.
- Wisconsin State Approval: All programs offered through Herzing University Online are approved by State of Wisconsin Educational Approval Board (P.O. Box 8696, Madison, Wisconsin 53708-8696, 608 266-1996, www.eab.state.wi.us).
- Other State Approvals for Distance Learning: Herzing University has made a good-faith effort to follow each individual state's regulations concerning offering distance educational programs in that respective state. Students should investigate and ensure that the program they desire, if offered in a distance/online format, meets the requirements of the profession in their state. Herzing University is not enrolling new students in the following states: Arkansas, District of Columbia and Wyoming. Not all programs are available in all states. Contact the Online Admissions Office for program availability at firstname.lastname@example.org or 866-508-0748.
- Nursing programs: The Bachelor of Science in Nursing—Bridge and the Master of Science in Nursing programs offered by Herzing University Online are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE, One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530 Washington, DC 20036-1120, 202-887-6791, www.aacn.nche.edu/ccne-accreditation.) Individuals considering the Master of Science in Nursing program—particularly the Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) concentration—should be aware that state requirements for availability of required clinical courses and eligibility to apply for licensure as a family nurse practitioner vary from state to state. Applicants should check with their applicable state board of nursing before enrolling in any graduate nursing program. For additional information, e-mail your questions to email@example.com.
- Medical Assisting Services: The Diploma in Medical Assisting Services and the Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Services programs offered through Herzing University Online are accredited by Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES, 7777 Leesburg Pike, Suite 314 North Falls Church, Virginia 22043, 703-917-9503, www.abhes.org). Consequently, graduates are eligible to take the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) certification exam offered by the American Association of Medical Assistants.
- Health Information Management: The Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management and the Associate of Science in Health Information Management programs offered through Herzing University Online are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM, 233 North Michigan Avenue, 31st Floor, Chicago, Illinois 60601-5800 312-233-1100 www.cahiim.org). Graduates of the Associate of Science in Health Information Management from Herzing University Online are eligible to take the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) certification exam and graduates from the Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management are eligible to take the Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) certification exam both offered through the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
- Legal Studies: Graduates of the Associate of Science in Legal Studies and the Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies programs available online from Herzing University Online are eligible to take the Certified Paralegal examination through the Association of Legal Assistants (www.nala.org). These online programs are not programmatically approved by the American Bar Association (ABA, 321 North Clark Street Chicago, Illinois 60654-7598, 800-285-2221, www.americanbar.org). There are no plans to seek this approval for these online programs. Some employers may prefer graduates from an ABA approved program. Students are advised to consult with employers of preference as to the importance of this approval on their hiring decisions.
- Accounting: The Bachelor of Science in Accounting program at Herzing University, even when combined with the Herzing University MBA, may not fulfill all of the requirements for a graduate to take the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam or apply for licensure as a CPA in some states/jurisdictions. In addition to requiring a specific amount of study beyond a bachelor’s degree (typically, a total of 150 semester credit hours but this varies by jurisdiction), most states/jurisdictions require specific coursework as well as several years of professional experience working in accounting to be eligible to apply for licensure. Some states (including, but not necessarily limited to, Texas) require the accounting program to have a specific programmatic accreditation for graduates to apply for licensure as a CPA, which Herzing University programs do not have, and no representation has been made as to when or if such an accreditation will be obtained. Applicants interested in becoming a CPA should check with their state Board of Accountancy regarding CPA eligibility requirements prior to enrolling in any accounting program. Students planning to pursue certifications other than the CPA exam should also contact the respective certifying organization to confirm requirements for certification prior to enrolling in any accounting program.
- Other Programs: No other programs at this campus have specialized programmatic accreditation. Students are advised to consult with employers of preference as to the importance of specialized programmatic accreditation on their hiring decisions.
The Insurance Billing and Coding Specialist programs at Herzing University are focused on providing graduates with the specific skills and capabilities they will need to succeed as billers and coders in doctors’ offices, home healthcare services, outpatient care centers, hospitals, and nursing and residential care facilities. This includes a strong understanding of anatomy & physiology and different coding programs and procedures.
Insurance Billing and Coding Specialist Program Comparison Chart
Program availability varies by location.
|Diploma in Insurance Billing and Coding Specialist||44||12|
|Associate and Associate of Applied Science in Insurance Billing and Coding Specialist||61||20|
|Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management||124||36|
Diploma in Insurance Billing and Coding Specialist
This diploma program is the first step in launching your career in medical billing and coding. Graduates are prepared for entry-level positions as medical billing specialists, medical coders, and insurance claims analysts. Download Program Course Sheet
Associate and Associate of Applied Science in Insurance Billing and Coding Specialist
This program takes what you learned in the diploma program and adds the general education classes needed for an associate degree. This provides more career flexibility and better chances for advancement. Download Program Course Sheet
Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management
Graduates of the bachelor program will have the most career opportunity as well as the best potential for advancement. Not only do they have all the basics of coding, health sciences and general education, they also have business, accounting and management skills high-level management requires and will be prepared for management positions in the area of medical records and health information documentation. This program has a blended delivery, so some classes will be taught at the campus and some online (or entirely online, if the student chooses, except for the internship). Download Program Course Sheet
The Herzing University Insurance Billing and Coding programs are designed to prepare students for the following certifications:
- CCA Certified Coding Associate
- CCS Certified Coding Specialists
- CCS-P Certified Coding Professional (physician-based)