Financial Aid Steps
To begin the funding process, please complete the following steps:
- Register for a PIN - Go to: www.pin.ed.gov This PIN will act as your electronic signature for your online financial aid documents.
- If you have never created a PIN select 'Apply for a PIN'
- If you already have a PIN but can't remember it select 'Request Duplicate PIN'
- Once your PIN is created or retrieved, select 'Display Now' from the drop down box in order to view your PIN immediately
- Complete a 2011-2012 FAFSA using your 2010 federal tax information – You can fill this form out online and submit it with your PIN. Please remember to add Herzing University's school code to your FAFSA (School Code: 009621).
Once your file has been submitted to our Financial Aid Department your FAFSA may be "Selected for Verification" by the Federal Government. If you are selected, you will be asked to supply additional documents. In order to complete the process in a timely manner, we highly recommend having the following documents ready for submission:
- Federal Tax Forms (1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ) – A signed copy of your 2010 Federal tax forms (and your spouse's or parent's if applicable). If you are unable to locate a copy of these documents, you can request free Tax Transcripts from the IRS. Please call the IRS Tax Transcript Request Line at 1-800-829-1040 (fastest service) or go to http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Order-a-Transcript .
- W2's – Your 2010 W2's (and your spouse's or parent's if applicable).
Complete Entrance Counseling
- Before any school can disburse your Federal Stafford Loan (subsidized or unsubsidized), regulations require that you complete an entrance counseling session. The counseling session provides information about how to manage your student loans, both during and after college.
- Go to https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action
- Be sure to read all of the information carefully, as this is information you will be quizzed on. You must answer 12 out of 15 quiz questions correctly to pass. Once you pass the quiz, click 'Proceed'.
- To Select Herzing University Brookfield Campus as your school, click on the 'Add a School' button in Step Three.
If you type in 'Herzing', a number of locations will pull up. The Brookfield Campus OPE ID is 009621 and the associated city is Madison, WI. Please be sure to select the proper school, or it will not appear in our records that the Entrance Counseling has been completed.
- Print or save the confirmation page for your records.
Complete the Master Promissory Note
- The Master Promissory Note (MPN) is your agreement to pay back any student loans taken out on your behalf.
- You will need your PIN number to complete the MPN.
- Please go to: https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action and select 'Sign In'. Enter your personal information and select 'Sign In', verify that your information is correct and then provide your email address. Select 'Complete Master Promissory Note' then select 'Subsidized/Unsubsidized'. When asked for the school select Herzing University Madison Campus. Follow the directions as prompted and when you are done print or save the confirmation page for your records.
- This is a $50 fee that can be paid online . You can also pay on campus using cash, money orders, or certified checks (no personal checks)
If you have any questions, please call the Brookfield campus at (262) 649-1710 and ask for Financial Aid.