||Call your campus for upcoming dates
||DANB Infection Control Refresher
||Lecture, discussion, and hands-on
This course will provide the student with the necessary background information to sit for the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) Infection Control Exam. Topics covered include the following: infection control protocols for the dental office developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention per the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) 2003; understanding of standard precautions; infectious diseases and their relationship to patient safety and occupational risk; how to maintain aseptic conditions and perform sterilization procedures; how to work safely with hazardous chemicals; how to maintain quality assurance programs in the dental office; basic pharmacology concepts; and how to properly handle medical emergency situations that may arise in the dental office.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of infectious diseases and their relationship to patient safety and occupational risk.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the need for immunizations against infections disease, including hepatitis B, and how to interpret lab results of serological testing for infectious diseases.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the procedures and services being delivered at the dental clinic and their consequences to the patient, families, and other dental personnel.
- Know how to prevent cross-contamination and disease transmission in the dental office.
- Know how to maintain aseptic conditions and perform sterilization procedures.
- Understand how to achieve environmental asepsis in the dental office.
- Demonstrate an understanding of occupational safety: the OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Standard (1910.1030) and the OSHA Hazard Communications Standard (1910.1200).
- Understand how to manage medical emergency situations that may arise at the dental office and have a basic knowledge of medications that may be utilized in medical emergencies.
Required Texts or other supplemental materials:
Lecture materials will be provided for students online.
Pass/fail. The student will receive a certificate upon completion of coursework.
- Unit 1 - Infection Control Protocols in the Dental Clinic and Disinfection and Sterilization Processes
- Unit 2 - Microbiology and the Spread of Infectious Diseases in the Dental Office
- Unit 3 - Occupational Safety in the Dental Office: OSHA’s Bloodborne Pathogens Standard and OSHA’s Hazard Communications Standard
- Unit 4 - Pharmacology and Medical Emergencies in the Dental Office
- Review Exam
- Certificate of Completion