|Date:||Call (612) 360-2484 for upcoming dates|
|Course Number:||CE 0041|
|Course Name:||DANB General Chairside Refresher|
|Location:||Call (612) 360-2484 for details|
|Course Type:||Lecture, discussion, and hands-on|
This course will provide the student with the necessary background information to sit for the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) General Chairside Exam. The student will gain understanding in the following areas: anatomy of the head and neck; how to perform and interpret and intraoral exam; and how to utilize dental charting techniques, along with diagnostic aids for interpreting patient cases. The student will review tray setups for a variety of general and emergency procedures and will also gain knowledge in how to perform these procedures and the steps involved. The student will review dental materials commonly utilized in the dental office and how to properly manipulate and apply these materials on patients. A review of providing patient education and oral health management techniques to patients and how to properly handle medical emergency situations that may arise in the dental office will also be covered.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic oral and dental anatomy and physiology.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform and interpret a preliminary examination including charting of restorations, chief complaints, and abnormal findings in the head and neck region and how to document these in a patients chart along with vital signs.
- Demonstrate the ability to utilize the universal charting system for both primary and permanent dentitions.
- Demonstrate the ability to use diagnostic aids for patient care including radiographs, impressions, and study casts.
- Have the understanding of four-handed dentistry techniques and the knowledge of tray setup for general dentistry and dental emergency procedures.
- Demonstrate an understanding of intraoral procedures that may be performed by the dental assistant and the dentist.
- Demonstrate knowledge of how to prepare, manipulate, and apply impression, restorative, sedative, and other dental materials.
- Understand lab materials and procedures.
- Have the ability to provide patient education and oral health management information to patients including pre/post-operative instruction, plaque control techniques, and nutrition advice.
- Demonstrate the ability to prevent and care for medical emergencies that may occur in the dental office.
- Demonstrate an understanding of office operations and legal aspects of dentistry.
Required Texts or other supplemental materials:
Lecture materials will be provided for students online.
Pass/fail. The student will receive a certificate upon completion of coursework.
Unit 1: Office operations, legal aspects of dentistry, management of medical emergencies, patient education, and oral health management
Unit 2: Collection and recording of clinical data, charting, and tray setup for dental procedures
Unit 3: Assisting in chairside procedures
Unit 4: Dental materials
- How to prepare, manipulate, and apply materials
- Lab procedures and materials
Receive certificate of completion