|Date:||Call (612) 360-2484 for upcoming dates|
|Course Number:||CE 0044|
|Course Name:||Nitrous Oxide/Oxygen Inhalation Sedation Training|
|Location:||Call (612) 360-2484 for details|
|Course Type:||Lecture, discussion and hands-on|
This course is for beginning or refining the student’s skills in nitrous oxide administration. This practical course will give the student the capacity to reduce patient anxiety and fear in the dental office. The student will administer and manage three (3) patients with nitrous oxide. All equipment and materials are provided, including a valuable text for your reference in the dental office.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Apply the scientific rationale for the use of nitrous oxide/oxygen in managing pain.
- Learn the procedure necessary to safely and effectively administer nitrous oxide/oxygen.
- Differentiate between the advantages and disadvantages of nitrous oxide.
- Explain and demonstrate the indications and contraindications for the administration of nitrous oxide/oxygen analgesia.
- Provide a hands-on administration of nitrous oxide/oxygen for three (3) patients.
Required Texts or other supplemental materials (Please include ISBN number):
Handbook of Nitrous Oxide and Oxygen Sedation [Paperback]; Morris S. Clark, DDS, FACD and Ann Brunick, RDH, MS; Mosby; 3 edition (October 9, 2007); ISBN-10: 0323048277; ISBN-13: 978-0323048279; approximate price: $45.75
Pass/fail. The student will receive a certificate upon completion of coursework.
8–10 a.m. Lecture and discussion
10:15–10:30 a.m. Break
10:30 a.m. to 1230 p.m. Lab
Demonstration of administration of nitrous oxide/oxygen
Administration of nitrous oxide/oxygen by student on patient 1
12:30–1 p.m. Lunch
1–4:30 p.m. Lab
Administration of nitrous oxide/oxygen by student on patient 2
Administration of nitrous oxide/oxygen by student on patient 3
9 a.m.–noon Lecture and discussion
Noon–1 p.m. Review of materials/exam