Classes & curriculum details
Discover the knowledge and skills to excel as a dental assistant and build a strong foundation to continue advancing your career in the future.
Our career-focused CODA accredited1 associate degree curriculum combines core dental assisting courses with online general education courses to provide you with the well-rounded college education necessary to succeed in your unique career path.
|Associate of Applied Science in Dental Assisting||20||68|
All courses, 45.00 semester credit hours, are required.
Required Courses in General Education
Students enrolled in this associate degree must complete a minimum of 21.00 semester credit hours in general education distributed among the following disciplines. Refer to the General Education section of the catalog for Herzing University courses that would satisfy these requirements. * 9.00 Semester Credit Hours in Communication 3.00 Semester Credit Hours in Humanities (must include 3 semester credit hours of cultural diversity) 3.00 Semester Credit Hours in Mathematics 3.00 Semester Credit Hours in Social or Behavioral Science 3.00 Semester Credit Hours in Science * Transfer students may transfer courses that are within 1.00 semester credit hour of the courses listed above to meet these discipline requirements. Any resulting deficiency in the total of 21.00 semester credit hours required in general education may be made up with general education electives from any of the listed disciplines.
Personal and Professional Development Courses
2.00 semester credit hours are required.
Choose how you learn with Herzing
We strive to provide maximum flexibility for students, because we know everyone learns differently and there is no one-size-fits-all approach to education. Our associate degree program is designed for you.
That’s why we offer multiple delivery options for our dental assisting program:
- On-campus classes. Take all courses in-person at our campus in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Hybrid Track. Take main coursework online, and complete laboratory and clinical coursework at our state-of-the-industry dental clinic in St. Louis Park (1 or 2 weekends per month).
Tuition & Cost
When you accept the 10% tuition discount from our Financial Commitment Scholarship, the cost of tuition for the Associate of Science in Dental Assisting program is $464 per credit.1
You can potentially earn even greater savings by transferring credit from prior college coursework, applying for financial aid, or potential partnership opportunities through your employer.
Our goal is your career advancement. That’s why we are always working to improve our curriculum and processes to make our program as affordable as possible while preparing you best for success in your work.
You may be eligible for multiple scholarships and grants, both through Herzing University and several national scholarship websites.
Veterans, Active Duty U.S. Servicemembers, and spouses may qualify for a 10% tuition discount or tuition reduction to $250 per credit.
i. Financial Commitment Scholarship eligibility requirements: Recommended that students limit student loan borrowing to only what is needed to cover the cost of tuition and fees. Students may borrow up to $2,000 in student loans in excess of tuition and fees to cover their cost of attendance and retain eligibility for this scholarship. Excess loan eligibility dependent on individual student situation.
Dental assisting program enrollment requirements
Prerequisites to enroll in the Herzing University Dental Assisting associate degree program include:
- Completion of a high school diploma, GED or equivalent
- Meet and interview with a Herzing University admissions advisor
- Complete an enrollment application
Associate of Applied Science in Dental Assisting Degree Programs
Showing 1 programs for the Online campus
The goal of the dental assisting program is to train the student to become a productive member of the dental health team. This includes preparing the student for a variety of duties performed by the dental assistant in the contemporary dental office, including chairside assisting, laboratory procedures, administrative duties, and expanded functions. Our ultimate goal is to prepare students to successfully gain entry-level employment as a dental assistant.
Ready to get started?
Contact us to request more information
Accreditation & Disclosures
Accreditation & Disclosures
1. The Associate of Applied Science in Dental Assisting and the Diploma in Dental Assisting programs are accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. The Commission is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education. The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at (312) 440-4653 or at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611-2678. The Commission's web address is: http://www.ada.org/en/coda. Consequently, graduates are eligible to take the examinations leading to certified dental assistant (CDA®) certification through the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB).
Herzing University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (hlcommission.org), an institutional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook 2022. BLS estimates do not represent entry-level wages and/or salaries. Multiple factors, including prior experience, age, geography market in which you want to work and degree field, will affect career outcomes and earnings. Herzing neither represents that its graduates will earn the average salaries calculated by BLS for a particular job nor guarantees that graduation from its program will result in a job, promotion, salary increase or other career growth.