Advance your nursing career with a Master of Science in Nursing degree
- 100% online coursework
- Herzing pledges clinical placement
- Flexible scheduling to support your busy lifestyle
- Expert teaching faculty with extensive practical experience
- Uniquely designed degree pathways for RNs holding an ADN or BSN
Choose your path to earn an MSN
ADN to MSN
Choose your pathway from RN to MSN: either an accelerated RN to MSN path or earn your BSN along with your MSN in our RN to BSN to MSN track.
- RN to MSN-FNP – Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN in Nursing Education
- RN to MSN in Nursing Leadership and Administration
Choose your path to earn an MSN
Choose your pathway from RN to MSN: an accelerated RN to MSN program, or earn your BSN first in our RN to BSN to MSN track.
You may choose from four MSN concentrations to take the next step up to new heights in your nursing career.
Your clinical placement is our pledge.
We understand securing clinical placement as part of an MSN degree program is one of the biggest concerns students face. At Herzing, we offer guidance and support through our step-by-step Clinical Guidance Process to ensure you can get the clinical practice experiences you need.
As a Herzing student, we’ll encourage you to find your own preceptor and clinical sites as there are many benefits to doing so. However, we provide extensive support should you find difficulty along the way. With Herzing, you are never on your own.
Because of our strong relationships with healthcare providers across the U.S. and our comprehensive Clinical Guidance Process, we are confident in our ability to help you find clinical placement. So much so that if you are unable to find a clinical site on your own, we pledge to step in and help you secure clinical placement.*
* Subject to terms and conditions outlined in the enrollment agreement.
Questions? Speak with an advisor today
MSN program enrollment prerequisites
To enroll Herzing’s MSN program, prospective students must live in a state where Herzing University is authorized to offer the MSN program. You must also meet the following criteria:
- Hold a current, active and unrestricted license as a registered nurse (RN) in the same state in which they practice. (Note: Holding a multi-state, compact state license and being a resident in a compact license state will be deemed to have met this requirement.)
- Hold an Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN), Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree, or RN diploma with an overall minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
$7,000–$10,000 in Scholarships
You may be eligible for one of two Herzing University scholarships for MSN program applicants:
1. Did you earn a high GPA in your undergraduate program? Apply for our Nurses Circle of Achievement Scholarship
2. You could receive up to $7,000 in scholarship funding with our Nursing Pathway to Success Scholarship
Frequently Asked Questions
Both MSN and Master of Business Administration (MBA) programs are viable pathways for nurses looking to reach the next level in their career. Depending on your desired career path, you may prefer to earn one or the other (or both!).
Registered nurses who want to continue to deliver directing patient care or move into a leadership role directing patient care may prefer to first choose an MSN program. Herzing offers nurses with an RN license direct pathways to earn their MSN in the RN to MSN program.
Nurses more interested in the business side of healthcare management (and perhaps transition away from direct patient care) may prefer to pursue an MBA. Herzing offers an MBA concentration in healthcare management that is highly appropriate for BSN nurses seeking a larger role in the business of healthcare.
Learn more about why an MBA may be right for nurses looking to evolve into a role focused more on the business of nursing and/or healthcare in general.
Earning an MSN with Herzing University can take anywhere from 16-32 months. Program length can vary depending on your current education, your chosen degree pathway, whether you enroll part or full time, and MSN concentration.
Typical full-time program lengths:
- Nurse Practitioner program options (FNP, PMHNP): 24-32 months
- Nursing Education and Nursing Leadership and Administration programs: 16-28 months
Herzing University offers unique “bridge” style RN to MSN programs for current ADN or diploma nurses with an RN license looking for a direct path to earning an MSN.
Our RN to MSN program features options for multiple concentrations, including Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP), Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP), Nursing Education (NE), and Nursing Leadership and Administration (NLA).
You may choose an accelerated RN to MSN degree pathway or earn your BSN on the way in our RN to BSN to MSN track.
Earning potential can vary widely depending on your career path. Pay will depend on your depth of experience, degree level earned, your state of employment and the specific roles and responsibilities in the position.
According to 2019 data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)**:
After earning a master’s degree you may pursue further nursing credentials in a post-master’s certificate in nursing program. Herzing offers two certificate options with concentrations in Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) and Nursing Education (NE).
Earning an MSN represents a huge step forward in your education, but there is always more to learn. We are your lifelong partner in learning, dedicated to helping you earn the education needed to reach your highest career goals.
Earning an MSN can open several doors to take your nursing career to the next level.
You might choose to become a nurse practitioner. There are many types of nurse practitioners with unique specialties you can consider pursuing. Herzing University offers multiple concentrations for current RNs seeking the next step up to nurse practitioner:
- MSN – Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP). Specialize in family practice and build a deep foundational understanding of patient care across the lifespan.
- MSN – Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP). Focus your study in psychiatric care and develop the skills necessary to deliver holistic care to patients with mental illnesses and disorders.
Career opportunities in nursing also exist in nursing leadership, administration and education. By earning an MSN in Nursing Education you may qualify to teach nursing in clinical and/or academic settings. An MSN in Nursing Leadership and Administration helps you develop the skills and knowledge needed to become a decision maker, potentially qualifying for roles as a manager, director or executive.
There are many paths to reaching upper-level roles in nursing, and we exist to help you become qualified for them.
There are several potential advantages to earning a master’s degree:
- Your role in patient care. Earning an MSN can help you specialize in the type of patient care you are most passionate about – or transition away from primarily patient care as an RN into roles in leadership, administration or education.
- Earning potential. Moving up the career ladder beyond registered nurse can open up opportunities to specialize your expertise, get better at what you do and increase your pay.
- Qualifications for more jobs. You never know when that dream job opens up and starts taking applicants. With an MSN, you’ll have an even stronger resume to bring to the table for your next big job interview.
- Open doors to further advanced education. By earning your MSN you may potentially consider a Doctorate in Nursing (DNP) or post-master’s certificate programs in other concentrations to continue expanding your education and nursing credentials.
Accreditation & Disclosures
Not all programs approved in all states.
** Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook. Multiple factors, including prior experience, age, geography and degree field, affect career outcomes. Herzing does not guarantee a job, promotion, salary increase or other career growth. BLS estimates do not represent entry-level wages and/or salary.