Bridge to the next level in your nursing career
- No wait list!
- Program length: As few as 24-32 months depending on the degree pathway you choose
- 100% online coursework with inter-professional educational opportunities
- 675 total clinical hours with 500 total patient encounters
- Herzing pledges your clinical placement
- Go from ADN to FNP in our accelerated RN to MSN program, or earn your BSN on the way in our RN to BSN to MSN-FNP track
Choose your path to go from RN to FNP
Earn your BSN on the way from RN to FNP and graduate with your master’s degree.
- Curriculum built to help you earn a BSN and MSN faster
- How long? 32 months on average
- Earn a bachelor’s degree that may be required by some employers
Bridge directly from an ADN to FNP in the Herzing Accelerated RN to MSN program.
- Curriculum built to accelerate your MSN-FNP completion
- How long? As few as 2 years (24 months)
- Ideal for nurses looking to advance their practice and leap forward in their career
RN to MSN-FNP classes and curriculum details
The Herzing RN to MSN curriculum offers graduate-level nursing coursework as well as career-focused education, from foundational and core courses to valuable clinical experience.
All classes are delivered online with clinicals totaling 675 hours with 500 unique patient encounters.
|Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) with a Concentration in Family Nurse Practitioner - Accelerated RN-MSN (MSNFNPA)||24||64|
*Average number of months for students to complete program
Required Bridge Courses
All courses, 16.00 semester credit hours, are required. EN 304 - English Composition II Semester Credit Hours: 3.00 MA 320 - Statistics Semester Credit Hours: 3.00 NU 451 - Nursing Leadership and Management Semester Credit Hours: 3.00 NU 480 - Dimensions of Advanced Nursing Practice Semester Credit Hours: 2.00 NU 474 - Community Health Nursing Semester Credit Hours: 5.00
All courses, 15.00 semester credit hours, are required.
Required Direct Care Core Courses
All courses, 9.00 semester credit hours, are required.
Required Courses in FNP Concentration
All courses, 24.00 semester credit hours, are required.
+ Chair approval is needed for PMC students to take NU 627 with another clinical course simultaneously.
RN to BSN to MSN-FNP Track
This track combines our online RN to BSN and BSN to MSN-FNP degree programs. You can view their respective curriculums with all course information here:
Your clinical placement is our pledge.
We understand securing clinical placement as part of an RN to FNP program is one of the biggest concerns students face. At Herzing, we offer guidance and support through our step-by-step Clinical Guidance Process to ensure you can get the clinical practice experiences you need.
As a Herzing student, we’ll encourage you to find your own preceptor and clinical sites as there are many benefits to doing so. However, we provide extensive support should you find difficulty along the way. With Herzing, you are never on your own.
Because of our strong relationships with healthcare providers across the U.S. and our comprehensive Clinical Guidance Process, we are confident in our ability to help you find clinical placement. So much so that if you are unable to find a clinical site on your own, we pledge to step in and help you secure clinical placement.*
* Subject to terms and conditions outlined in the enrollment agreement.
RN to FNP program enrollment prerequisites
Enrollment requirements are the same whether you choose the accelerated RN to MSN-FNP or RN to BSN to MSN-FNP track. Prerequisites include:
- Live in a state where Herzing University is authorized to offer the RN to MSN program
- Hold a current, active and unrestricted license as a registered nurse (RN) in the same state in which they practice
- Hold an associate degree (ADN/ASN/AASN) or diploma in nursing from a nationally or regionally accredited college or university
- Participate in an interview to identify your goals and determine if the program is right for you
Your career as a nurse practitioner IS possible
Become a family nurse practitioner and you’ll develop skills to handle patient care across the lifespan under the umbrella of family practice.
After earning your master’s degree, you can qualify to become an important contributor in many different types of settings in patient care:
- Family practice
- Primary care
- Public health
- Retail health clinics
- Acute care
- Psychiatry/mental health
- Urgent care clinics
- Emergency rooms
- Veterans administration
- Women's Health
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of nurse practitioners is expected to rise 52% from 2019-2029, far surpassing the average of 4% across all U.S. occupations.
Now is a great time to begin earning the education you need to join a rapidly growing field in healthcare.
How can I continue advancing my career? Nurse practitioners considering an additional credential in teaching or instruction may be interested in a post-master’s certificate in nursing education.
Accreditation & Disclosures
*The baccalaureate degree program in nursing and master's degree program in nursing at Herzing University - Madison are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org). Herzing University is approved to offer programs in an online learning modality through association with the main campus in Madison, Wisconsin.