Skip to main content

Financial Aid FAQ

Here you will find answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about financial aid. If you don't find the answer to your question or need further clarification, please email a financial aid advisor.

1) How do I know if I’m eligible for Financial Aid through Herzing University?

You are eligible if you meet the following criteria:

  • You are a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • You have a valid social security number. (Exceptions include residents from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or Republic of Palau).
  • You are registered with the selective service and are male, age 18-25. (If you have not yet registered, please go to for more information).
  • You have a high school diploma, GED, or have passed an exam approved by the U.S. Department of Education.
  • You are enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program at or through Herzing University.
  • You do not have a drug conviction for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid.
  • You must not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on a federal student loan.
  • You must demonstrate financial need (except for unsubsidized Stafford Loans).

2) How soon before enrolling should I start the financial aid process?

As soon as you have decided to further your education, you should start the financial aid process by creating your FSAID and then begin filling out your FAFSA form.

3) What is the Herzing University school code for FAFSA?

Students attending all Herzing campuses should include the school code for the Madison, Wisconsin, location: 009621.

4) My FAFSA form has been processed. What is my EFC?

The "EFC" is your Expected Family Contribution. Based on the information you provided on your FAFSA, the government estimates the amount your family will be able to contribute for that school year. 

5) What is the Student Aid Report (SAR)?

The Student Aid Report shows the information you provided on your FAFSA form, along with your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) figure, and Data Release Number (DRN). Review this information carefully. If you need to make any corrections, go to make a correction to revise your processed FAFSA.

6) When do I know how much financial aid I will receive?

Once you have been accepted to Herzing University and have fulfilled all requirements for the financial aid application, you will receive a Financial Aid Offer notification detailing your Financial Aid Package, including the dollar amount and type of aid you will receive.

7) How and when is my financial aid money disbursed?

Once you accept your Financial Aid Award Package and begin classes, your financial aid award money will be applied to your account at Herzing University to cover the cost of tuition.  We strongly advise that you only accept the money you absolutely need, in order to lessen your loan repayment amounts in the future. Please note: It is the student’s responsibility to communicate any name and/or address changes to Herzing University.

8) What if financial aid does not cover my full tuition amount?

You are responsible for any balance on your account that is not covered by financial aid. Possible payment options include cash or credit card, employer tuition reimbursement, military benefits, or scholarships. Contact a financial aid advisor to learn more.

9) What happens if I withdraw from a course or Herzing University?

Any changes to your enrollment status may affect financial aid eligibility. If you need to withdraw from a course(s), please speak to your advisor to discuss the potential ramifications on your financial aid.

10) According to my FAFSA form, I’m considered a dependent student. What does this mean?

Based on your age, marital status, and family status, you may be considered a dependent student and you will need your parent’s help when completing the financial aid process. If you have questions about being declared a dependent student, or if your parents are divorced and you’re not sure which parent(s) need to supply information, please contact a financial aid advisor.

11) What if I am a dependent student, but my parents won’t complete their portion of the financial aid forms?

Unfortunately, if your parents are unwilling to provide the required information then you will likely be ineligible for federal and state financial aid. Please contact an financial aid advisor if you have questions about your specific situation.

12) What is verification?

Verification is a common step in the financial aid process. If your FAFSA is selected for verification by either the U.S. Department of Education or Herzing University, you will be asked to submit additional information to verify that the questions on your FAFSA form were answered correctly.

13) What happens if my FAFSA is selected for verification?

If selected for verification, you will be required to submit a Verification Worksheet (provided by your Financial Aid Department) and some, or all, of the following:

  • A copy of your most recent federal tax filing, and your spouse’s or parent’s tax filing if applicable. You can request a free Tax Transcript from the IRS Tax Transcript Request Line by calling 800-829-1040 or by visiting the IRS at
  • Proof of child support paid
  • Identity and Statement of Educational Purpose
  • High school diploma or GED

Other supporting documentation includes, but is not limited to:

  • W2’s
  • Birth certificate
  • Immigration papers
  • Social security card
  • Government issued identification card
  • Statement of educational purpose
  • Divorce decree or separation documentation (must have correct, current name)
  • Ward of the Court
  • Homelessness documentation
  • SNAP Benefits

14) I’m ready to apply for financial aid. Where do I start?

Our step-by-step instructions will guide you through the financial aid application process.

Request Information
Ready to get started?

Contact us to request more information

Opt-In to Receive SMS Messages

By selecting this button you agree to receive updates and alerts from Herzing University. Text HELP to 42459 for help, Text STOP to 42459 to end. Msg & Data Rates May Apply. By opting in, I authorize Herzing University to deliver SMS messages and I understand that I am not required to opt in as a condition of enrollment. By leaving this box unchecked you will not be opted in for SMS messages. Click to read Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.