Earn a career-focused accounting education
- IACBE-accredited degree programs1
- 100% online classes you can take right at home
- Transfer up to 91 approved credits into an bachelor’s degree in accounting program
- Prepare for critical industry certifications
- Choose your undergraduate or graduate-level degree pathway
Follow your career pathway with Herzing
Start fast in bookkeeping and payroll accounting by earning a diploma in 6-8 months.
Qualify for entry-level jobs in bookkeeping and accounting with an associate degree.
Develop the skills required to become a manager in accounting with an MBA.
Save time and money by earning dual credit
Students enrolled in Herzing University’s accounting bachelor’s degree program can get a head start on earning a Master of Business Administration (MBA).
Qualifying undergraduate students who pursue a Herzing Bachelor of Science in Accounting may apply up to 12 credits toward an MBA degree.
Discover the many career possibilities in accounting and finance
Every company needs to keep their financial house in order—accountants and auditors play a pivotal role in the process. From administrative tasks in bookkeeping and payroll accounting to senior management, jobs in accounting and finance demand a wide variety of skills and responsibilities.
- Earn a diploma or associate degree in accounting and pursue roles as a clerk in bookkeeping, accounting or payroll.
- Earn a bachelor’s degree in accounting and you can qualify for jobs including accountant, auditor, budget analyst, financial examiner or tax examiner
- Climb the ladder to potential job titles including general manager, operations manager, or CFO by earning an MBA or post master’s certificate in accounting
How can I advance my career? We provide several opportunities to advance your education online and reach the next level in your career, from earning your bachelor’s degree to help become a CPA, or transition to the managerial side with a Master in Business Administration (MBA) or a post-master’s certificate in accounting. Make sure to contact your state licensing board for CPA requirements, as each state is different.
According to 2019 data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employment of accountants and auditors is expected to rise 6% from 2018-2028, faster than the 5% average across all U.S. occupations.
In addition, the BLS projects a 7% increase in employment for general and operations managers, suggesting further opportunities for applicants with skills developed in a post-baccalaureate/MBA program.
Now is an excellent time to begin or advance your career in accounting.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are many different types of accountants with varying levels of required education. Herzing offers the following undergraduate accounting degree options:
- Associate of Science in Accounting/Associate of Applied Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
We also offer an online Master of Business Administration (MBA) with a concentration in Accounting and Finance.
Yes! All of Herzing’s accounting programs can be completed online on your schedule, at your pace.
Accounting is much more specific to managing and analyzing money in and out of organizations. An accounting degree offers students in-depth knowledge to a range of advance accounting principles and processes.
Business administration is often limited to basic accounting principles. Instead, a degree in business administration focuses on many aspects of business, including operations, management, and business strategy.
Students choosing a business administration degree program with an emphasis on accounting and finance may learn big picture business principles while learning the fundamentals of day-to-day financial management and analysis.
While you may not be required to hold a degree to qualify for jobs that include bookkeeping and accounting tasks, employers may prefer earning a degree if you plan to become an accountant and continue advancing your career in accounting and finance. It’s difficult to obtain senior-level roles in accounting without earning an accounting-specific undergraduate degree.
Many states require that you must have a bachelor’s degree plus additional credit hours to sit for the exam to become a Certified Public Accountant (CPA). State-specific requirements may vary.2
A Bachelor of Science (BS) in Accounting is four-year degree that requires more courses related to the accounting major to prepare students for entry-level positions in corporate, nonprofit, or government accounting.
A Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Accounting puts more emphasis on elective classes and a broader liberal arts education. This can be helpful for students who would like to pursue a double major or minor.
Herzing’s Bachelor of Science in Accounting (BS) represents a career-focused education designed to prepare you for a career in accounting. Our goal is to help you reach your highest career goals, and our curriculum is built to help you reach them.
A key difference between a diploma and a degree in accounting is required coursework.
Typically, an accounting diploma takes 6-8 months, while a degree may take two or more years. In a diploma program, you'll take classes specific to the field of accounting with no general education courses.
It's a cost-effective way to get foundational knowledge in a subject and can help you qualify for an entry-level job.
The difference between finance and accounting is that accounting focuses on tracking the day-to-day flow of money into or out of an organization, while finance is the general management of assets and liabilities and includes future growth planning. The curriculums of their respective degree programs follow suit.
Additionally, if you would like to pursue your CPA, a degree in accounting is often the more preferred choice.
Accounting / Bookkeeping Degree Programs
Showing 4 programs for the Online campus
This program prepares an existing or emerging organizational or team leader with the necessary skills and academic knowledge for management positions in various business enterprises. These career opportunities may be in areas such as accounting, finance, business administration, sales, marketing, human resources, information systems, project management, production and operations. Application of theory to practice is emphasized through a problem-based/solutions-based curriculum, grounded in a framework of ethical leadership and global competition.
The Master of Business Administration in Accounting program is designed to prepare the graduate to sit for the Certified Management Accountant (CMA) exam from the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA). The CMA is the globally recognized, advanced-level credential appropriate for accountants and financial professionals in business. Achieving the CMA demonstrates your professional expertise in financial planning, analysis, control, decision support, and professional ethics. It is important to note that this MBA program, even when combined with the Bachelor of Science in Accounting program at Herzing University, may not fulfill all of the requirements for graduates to sit for the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam or apply for licensure in some states or jurisdictions. Many states require a specific number of graduate accounting classes as well as specific graduate accounting courses. Others may require several years of professional experience. This program is not designed to fulfill any of those requirements.
This Bachelor of Science in Accounting program prepares students for challenging careers and positions of leadership in both private and public sectors. It offers upper-level courses in financial accounting, auditing, taxation and cost accounting and introduces students to multiple functional aspects of business in general. Upon completion of this program, students are able to apply computer, communication, and decision-making skills to management accounting techniques to support accounting activities. These activities include maintenance of accounting records, the preparation of financial statements, inventory tracking, valuation, and the preparation of tax returns.
This Bachelor of Science in Accounting program at Herzing University does not fulfill all of the requirements for a graduate to take the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam or apply for licensure as a CPA in most states/jurisdictions. Most states/jurisdictions require a specific amount of study beyond a bachelor's degree (typically, a total of 150 semester credit hours, but this varies by jurisdiction) as well as several years of professional experience working in accounting to be eligible to apply for licensure. Some states (including, but not necessarily limited to, Texas) require the program to have specific programmatic accreditation for graduates to apply for licensure as a CPA, which this program does not have at this time, and no representation has been made as to when or if such an accreditation will be obtained. Applicants interested in becoming a CPA should check with their state board of accountancy regarding CPA eligibility requirements prior to enrolling in any accounting program. Students planning to pursue certifications other than the CPA exam should also contact the respective certifying organization to confirm requirements for certification prior to enrolling in any accounting program.
This accounting program provides students with a solid accounting background. The curriculum includes academic core courses, business courses, and education in computer skills related to accounting such as computerized accounting software, spreadsheets, and payroll systems. This program provides career opportunities in accounting areas such as payables, receivables, bookkeeping, payroll, and taxation.
The Diploma in Bookkeeping and Payroll Accounting program provides students with an introductory understanding of general and payroll accounting practices and the skills needed to set up and maintain basic accounting and payroll records in typical business settings.
Ready to get started?
Contact us to request more information
Accreditation & Disclosures
1. The Business Division at Herzing University has received specialized accreditation for its business programs through the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE) located at 11374 Strang Line Road in Lenexa, Kansas, USA. For a list of accredited programs please refer to our IACBE member status page.
- Download the IACBE Public Disclosure of Student Achievement
- View Herzing University Accreditation and Approvals
2. This Bachelor of Science in Accounting program at Herzing University does not fulfill all of the requirements for a graduate to take the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam or apply for licensure as a CPA in most states/jurisdictions. Most states/jurisdictions require a specific amount of study beyond a bachelor’s degree (typically, a total of 150 semester credit hours, but this varies by jurisdiction) as well as several years of professional experience working in accounting to be eligible to apply for licensure. Some states (including, but not necessarily limited to, Texas) require the program to have specific programmatic accreditation for graduates to apply for licensure as a CPA, which this program does not have at this time, and no representation has been made as to when or if such an accreditation will be obtained. Applicants interested in becoming a CPA should check with their state board of accountancy regarding CPA eligibility requirements prior to enrolling in any accounting program. Students planning to pursue certifications other than the CPA exam should also contact the respective certifying organization to confirm requirements for certification prior to enrolling in any accounting program.
My clinicals helped prepare me for the office, while my externship helped me gain a true feeling for my life as a Medical Assistant. I found that time flew by during my enrollment with Herzing.