Overview: Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree options include several undergraduate pre-licensure programs which prepare you for a career in as a Registered Nurse (RN).
The degree program provides students with fundamental knowledge and skills in holistic, safe, and quality evidence-based patient care.
Discover the crucial knowledge and skills required to succeed in your work and build a foundation for continued career growth.
We work hard to help you maintain school-life balance, striving to be as flexible as possible for busy non-traditional students.
Get face-to-face instruction from experienced and credentialed faculty with real-world success in the field.
We support your ongoing career advancement by providing comprehensive, personalized student services with lifelong career coaching.
No application deadlines to worry about. Apply when you’re ready and prepare to get started soon.
Classes Start January 8th
Learn More Today
Choose your pathway to earn a BSN
Additional pathways for those new to nursing
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Program Curriculums
Herzing University's comprehensive BSN degree program prepares the generalist nurse with a focus on practice which is holistic, caring, safe, quality, and evidence-based client/patient care.
Herzing University's BSN pre-licensure plan is approved by the state boards of nursing in the states where it is currently offered and prepares students to take the National Council Licensing Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) upon completion of the program. Graduates who successfully pass this national examination will be eligible to practice as registered nurses in the state in which they took the examination and will also be qualified to apply for licensure in all 50 states.
The liberal arts education core provides a strong foundation for developing the clinical judgment and critical thinking skills required to provide care to diverse populations across the life-span, health-illness continuum, and in a variety of healthcare settings and to practice lifelong learning.
The general education and core nursing classes build on each other and are integrated throughout the curriculum. Theoretical instruction is integrated with clinical experience in a variety of healthcare settings in order to provide a broad, holistic, and reality-based understanding of the roles and responsibilities of a professional nurse.
Clinical experience is an integral part of Herzing's BSN programs.
Qualifying students at select campus locations may be eligible to complete up to four graduate-level courses as part of their BSN or RN-BSN program plan at Herzing University.
We offer multiple tracks in our MSN program:
Please contact admissions for enrollment procedures.
You are never alone
Carla and Michael teamed up to help each other earn their BSNs. You can take on nursing school alongside vibrant, hardworking classmates dedicated to helping us all grow together.
Now is the ideal time to earn a BSN degree
Ranked #8 Best Health Care Jobs of 2023 according to U.S. News & World Report
Nursing continues to be a high-growth field and according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics employment is expected to grow 6% between 2022-2032.*
A career in nursing could be right for you, if you want to:
- Learn and work with new healthcare technologies
- Help patients understand their health issues and treatments
- Experience new challenges and opportunities
- Expand your career potential in healthcare
- Help people feel better and prevent illness
- Understand the human body and its various systems
- Teach or consult
I have been an RN for 28 years in Medical Surgical Nursing and Pediatrics and have been teaching for 8 years. I truly enjoy watching the students be able to put the theory together with practice. Fun fact about me: My BSN and MSN are 20 years apart almost to the date.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Degree Programs
Showing 1 programs for the Online campus
This pre-licensure bachelor degree in nursing program prepares the generalist nurse with a focus on practice which is holistic, caring, safe, quality, and evidence-based client/patient care. The baccalaureate nurse generalist assumes the role of provider of direct and indirect care, designer, coordinator, and manager of care, and has membership in the profession as an advocate for clients/patients and the professions (AACN, 2008). The liberal arts education core provides a strong foundation for developing the clinical judgment and critical thinking skills required to provide care to diverse populations across the life-span, health-illness continuum, and in a variety of healthcare settings and to practice lifelong learning.
The general education and core nursing courses build on each other and are integrated throughout the curriculum. Theoretical instruction is integrated with clinical experience in a variety of healthcare settings in order to provide a broad, holistic, and reality-based understanding of the roles and responsibilities of a professional nurse.
Herzing University currently offers two options for completion of the pre-licensure BSN program; the Pre-licensure Plan and the Advancement Plan.
Ready to get started?
Contact us to request more information
Frequently Asked Questions
The advantages of a BSN can include:
- Increased autonomy in decision making while on the job
- Open doors to more specialties in the nursing field
- Become a more attractive candidate for hospitals seeking Magnet Recognition
- Build a foundation to grow into education or leadership pathways
- Positions you better for nursing jobs with higher pay
- Qualify to enroll in an MSN program
- Become more familiar and educated with evidence-based practice opportunities
- Increase knowledge and understanding of RN specialties and skills
- Transition from “technical” to “professional” RN
- Gain a deeper knowledge of nursing theory and leadership theory
A 2022 study from the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) indicates employers have the level of education at top of mind in the hiring process. Based on responses from nursing schools, the survey revealed 27.7% of hospitals and other healthcare facilities require new hires to hold a bachelor’s degree in nursing, and 71.7% of employers show a strong preference for BSN graduates.
The ultimate benefit is bettering yourself, becoming the best nurse you can be and following the career path of your choosing.
There are a wide variety of different career paths in nursing, and depending on what makes the most sense for you there are several different types of nursing degrees you may consider:
- Diploma in Practical Nursing. The fastest way to start your nursing career is to earn a diploma in practical nursing and become a Licensed Practical Nurse. This isn’t a “degree” but it’s an alternative starting point if you’re ready to get your feet wet in nursing.
- Associate degree in nursing. Earn an associate’s degree in nursing and you’ll be eligible to site for the NCLEX and become a Registered Nurse (RN).
- Bachelor’s in nursing. A bachelor’s degree is becoming the new educational standard for registered nurses, and it will qualify you for a master’s degree program.
- Master’s in nursing. Many roles up the ladder in nursing will require a master’s degree.
- Doctorate in nursing. Earn the terminal degree in nursing and reach the top of the field.
All schools have their own distinct degree programs based on their qualifications and areas of focus. Herzing University offers many different options to provide the shortest path to your destination no matter where you are right now, including campus bridge programs and online programs to help you reach the next level in your education. View all of our nursing programs.
However, if your goal is to continue climbing the ladder to become a nurse practitioner or pursue roles in nursing leadership or administration, you may be best off enrolling in a BSN program so you can reach your goals faster.
No matter what you choose, Herzing is here to empower you to become the best nursing professional you can be.
With Herzing University you are never alone. It’s our goal to provide all students an affordable, career-driven education. Financial aid options include:
- Loan options – Federal & private
- Scholarships & grants
- VA / military benefits
- Other sources of financial aid
You can find an estimate for tuition and expenses by using the Herzing University tuition wizard.
Because nurses with a BSN have earned that next degree level and generally have the edge on the job market, they will on average earn a slightly higher salary than nurses with an ASN. However, there are always exceptions; an ASN with several years of an experience may earn a higher salary than an RN with a BSN who is just starting their career.
There are many different nursing specialties to choose from. Depending on your personality, educational background and preferred working environment you can follow your own personalized path in the nursing profession.
Here are a few popular nursing specialties you may consider:
- Aesthetic or Cosmetic nurse
- Assisted living nurse
- Cardiac/cardiovascular nurse
- Emergency room nurse
- Flight nurse
- Home health nurse
- Labor and Delivery nurse (L&D)
- Med/surgical nurse
- Neonatal/NICU nurse
- Nurse Anesthetist
- Oncology nurse
- Pediatric nurse
- Public health nurse
- Travel nurse
You can take our nursing personality quiz to get a better idea of what you might prefer in your nursing career.
Our nursing programs are designed to be challenging, but not impossible. Your career as a registered nurse will be demanding, and our goal is to help you succeed and become the best healthcare provider you can be. We won’t do you any favors by making things too easy.
Learn more about how hard nursing school really is from Herzing graduates who have been through it. You will have support from Herzing University faculty, staff and other students every step of the way. Never be afraid to ask for help when you need it!
It’s a question of:
- What your goals are
- How quickly you want to reach them
If your goal is to go from LPN to RN quickly, the best choice may be an associate’s degree program since you may be able to become an RN in less than 2 years.
If your goal is to become an RN and potentially advance further by working towards a master’s degree in nursing (MSN), your best option is a bachelor’s degree in nursing program.
Read about the most basic differences between ADN vs. BSN and discover what's best for you.
Yes, general education and didactic/lecture nursing courses can be completed in our 3-year online BSN program for non-nurses.
The program does incorporate hands-on training, including clinicals and an intensive experience to ensure you are equipped to pass the NCLEX-RN, meet the board of nursing requirements in your state and become an RN-BSN.
Accreditations & Disclosures
1. The baccalaureate degree program in nursing at Herzing University Atlanta, Brookfield, Kenosha, Madison, Minneapolis, New Orleans, and Orlando are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org). This accreditation includes the baccalaureate degree program offered at the satellite Herzing University Tampa location.
Herzing University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (hlcommission.org), an institutional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook 2022. BLS estimates do not represent entry-level wages and/or salaries. Multiple factors, including prior experience, age, geography market in which you want to work and degree field, will affect career outcomes and earnings. Herzing neither represents that its graduates will earn the average salaries calculated by BLS for a particular job nor guarantees that graduation from its program will result in a job, promotion, salary increase or other career growth.