Certificate of Completion in Dental Radiology curriculum details
Topics covered across the 8-week course include the basics of radiation, equipment, film and processing, imaging technique, digital and panoramic imaging, and more.
- Put academic training into action in hands-on labs at our Minneapolis campus, and clinical experience in your current place of employment
- Learn from Herzing University faculty with extensive experience teaching dental assisting and dental hygiene
- Earn a Certificate of Completion in Dental Radiology—a credential qualifying you to apply for Limited Radiology Registration with the Minnesota Board of Dentistry
The certificate program’s 80 hours will be distributed as such:
- 50 hours of asynchronous course content
- 15 lab hours at the Herzing University – Minneapolis campus radiology lab
- 15 hours of clinical site assignments completed at your workplace
|Certificate of Completion in Dental Radiology||8||80|
Tuition & Cost
Our goal is your career advancement.
That’s why we are always working to improve our curriculums and processes to make our Dental Radiology certificate program as affordable as possible while preparing you best for success in your work.
Take this step to invest in yourself, build your skills and capabilities in dental radiology, and advance your career to the next level.
Prerequisites to enroll in the Certificate of Completion in Dental Radiology include:
- You must be actively employed in a dental office
- You must obtain sponsorship from a licensed dentist
- Meet and interview with a Herzing University admissions advisor
- Complete an enrollment application
In addition to completing this Certificate of Completion in Dental Radiology, you must meet the Limited Radiology Registration requirements specified by the Minnesota Board of Dentistry, including:
- Passed, within 5 years prior to application for licensure, the Minnesota Jurisprudence Examination covering the statutes and rules of the Minnesota Board of Dentistry.
- Passed, within 5 years prior to application for licensure, the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) Radiation Health and Safety (RHS) Exam.
- Documentation of current CPR certification (Basic Life Support Provider with the American Heart Association or with the American Red Cross)
- Criminal background check
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Certificate of Completion in Dental Radiology is designed to qualify you to deliver x-ray and other radiological services in a dental office, but it does not equip you with the skills and knowledge to practice as an LDA.
If you’re considering advancing your career as a dental assistant, keep in mind dental assistants earn a higher salary in Minnesota than any other state, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). In Minnesota, dental assistants earn an average salary of $44,710 per year ($21.50 per hour).*
Unlicensed dental assistants are allowed to perform certain duties as stipulated by Minnesota Legislature regulations. These duties include:
- Retracting a patient’s cheek, tongue, or other parts of tissue during a procedure
- Assist with placement or removal of devices as directed by the dentist or dental therapist
- Remove debris or water during treatment using suction devices
- Assisting in placing articles and topical medication in a patient’s oral cavity under supervision of a dentist or dental therapist
In January 2022, the Minnesota Board of Dentistry approved unlicensed dental assistants to perform radiological services after meeting certain requirements, including completing a board approved course in dental radiology.
You will complete a total of 15 laboratory hours over one weekend (Saturday and Sunday) at our campus near Minneapolis. Your time in labs will cover these topics:
- Radiology Equipment
- Normal Anatomy
- Exposure Techniques
- Radiation Production
- Radiation Biology
- Radiation Protection and Safety
- Infection Control
- Digital Imaging
- Image Interpretation and Evaluation
The majority of the didactic coursework will have taken place prior to the laboratory session. It is important that you come to the laboratory session understanding content previously covered in the didactic portion of the course. Laboratory session dates will be provided by the instructor during week 1 of the course.
There are no eligibility requirements to take the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) Radiation Health and Safety (RHS) exam. However, completing our dental radiology course can assist you in preparing for the RHS exam.
Our course includes an RHS readiness exam as part of the curriculum and will put you in much better position to pass the exam on your first attempt.
Dental Radiology Degree Programs
Showing 1 programs for the Online campus
To learn more about this program, click the Request Info button to the right.
Ready to get started?
Contact us to request more information
Accreditation and Disclosures
Herzing University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (hlcommission.org), an institutional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook 2022. BLS estimates do not represent entry-level wages and/or salaries. Multiple factors, including prior experience, age, geography market in which you want to work and degree field, will affect career outcomes and earnings. Herzing neither represents that its graduates will earn the average salaries calculated by BLS for a particular job nor guarantees that graduation from its program will result in a job, promotion, salary increase or other career growth.