Advancing your career in allied health IS possible
- 100% online classes with an applied capstone or internship
- Tuition: $425 per credit
- Transfer up to 90 approved credits (no expiration date on gen eds)
- Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission
- No minimum credit requirement for admissions—no associate degree required!
- Shape your degree emphasis with healthcare electives
- Earn dual credit towards an MBA program with several choices for concentration
Earn a bachelor’s degree and begin making a big impact in healthcare
The Herzing University Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences degree program is designed for:
- Degree completion: students with an associate degree in a health-related field
- Students holding a degree in another field looking to transition into a career in healthcare
- Students without a degree looking to start a new, rewarding career
A bachelor’s degree in health sciences can help you start or advance a career path in allied health that’s perfect for you.
- Learn from and study with industry leaders in allied health
- Career coaching from day one and beyond. We provide no cost lifetime career readiness and employment coaching.
- Build lifetime value: According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, individuals with a bachelor's degree not only experience lower unemployment but also earn about 67% more in median weekly earnings over a working person without a degree.*
Herzing is your lifelong learning partner—in everything from medical assisting to master’s level nursing. No matter where you are in your allied health career, we know how to get you from point A to point B. We’ve cracked the code to help thousands of students get there, and we can help you too – with personal attention, small classes sizes and online classes you can complete at home.
Classes Start August 9th
Learn More Today
Health Sciences program classes & curriculum details
Our health sciences bachelor’s degree program curriculum includes course topics covering wellness & health promotion, the state of U.S. healthcare systems, medical law & ethics, behavioral & cultural aspects of healthcare and much more.
All classes are delivered online with one required capstone course or internship.
|Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences||32||120|
*Average number of months for students to complete program
Required Courses in Health Sciences
All courses, 32.00 semester credit hours, are required.
A minimum of 28.00 semester credit hours is required. Students may choose from the list of available electives below in healthcare administration, healthcare leadership, and science courses, in addition to the required courses listed above. Transfer students are permitted to fulfill all or part of the healthcare electives with healthcare coursework taken at other institutions in accordance with Herzing University's Transfer Credit Policy outlined in the catalog. Suggested healthcare course electives include:
A minimum of 22.00 semester credit hours is required.
Required Capstone or Internship
A minimum or 3.00 semester credit hours are required.
Required Courses in General Education
Students enrolled in this bachelor's degree must complete a minimum of 36.00 semester credit hours in general education distributed among the following disciplines. Refer to the General Education section of the catalog for specific information about courses within each discipline. 12.00 Semester Credit Hours in Communications 9.00 Semester Credit Hours in Humanities 6.00 Semester Credit Hours in Mathematics 3.00 Semester Credit Hours in Science 6.00 Semester Credit Hours in Social and Behavioral Sciences Transfer students may transfer courses that are within 1.00 semester credit hour of the courses listed above to meet these discipline requirements. Any resulting deficiency in the total of 36.00 semester credit hours required in general education may be made up with general education electives from any of the listed disciplines.
Personal and Professional Development Courses
A minimum of 2.00 semester credit hours are required.
Health Sciences program enrollment prerequisites
Prerequisites to enroll in the Herzing University Health Sciences bachelor's degree program include:
- No minimum transfer requirement - no associate degree required!
- Completed high school diploma, GED or equivalent
- Meet and interview with a Herzing University admissions advisor
- Fill out an enrollment application
What can I do with a degree in health sciences?
Earning a bachelor’s degree in health sciences can open doors to many unique types of career opportunities. For current healthcare professionals, a BS in health sciences provides the opportunity to advance to managerial-level roles within your specialty.
Earning a bachelor’s degree opens doors for current healthcare professionals across many different fields, including:
- Radiologic Technology
- Emergency Medical Technician / Paramedic
- Medical Assisting
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Medical Billing and Coding
- Health Information Management Technician
- Dental Assistant
- Respiratory Therapy
- Surgical Technology
Herzing University’s program prepares students to enter and advance in the field of health and wellness, including instruction in fitness and exercise, nutrition, disease prevention, personal health, and much more. You may consider career opportunities in health education or community health.
With a health sciences degree, you can shape YOUR career and become an important contributor to the health and wellness of your community—and make a real difference.
Frequently Asked Questions
According to 2020 data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, health educators and community health workers earn a median annual wage of $48,140 per year ($23.15 per hour). The BLS projects employment for these types of occupations will increase by 13% from 2019-2029.*
Salaries can vary widely based on employer, the job title and its responsibilities, your level of experience, educational credentials and the state in which you are employed. A bachelor’s degree in health science can help you become qualified for many different types of jobs in allied health.
Our BS in Health Sciences typically takes 32 months to complete.
The time it takes to complete the program will vary depending on the amount of credit you are able to transfer from prior college learning, if any. Choose Herzing and you can transfer up to 90 approved credits.
Allied health is comprised of healthcare professions distinct from nursing and medicine, often in non-patient facing positions.
Allied health professionals are responsible for delivering health services related to:
- Managing healthcare systems
- Nutrition, fitness and dietary services
- Identifying, analyzing and preventing diseases and disorders
- Health promotion, rehabilitation or administration
Dental assistants, dental hygienists, medical assistants, medical billers and coders, occupational therapists, physical therapists, radiologic technologists and cardiovascular technologists can all be considered allied health professionals (among many others).
Allied health is a great career path for those looking to quickly start making a difference in healthcare.
With Herzing University you have many pathways to build the allied health career of your choosing.
We offer several online healthcare degree programs for students with little to no prior education or experience in allied health:
- Medical Assisting - Diploma, Associate
- Medical Office Administration - Diploma, Associate
- Healthcare Administration - Associate
- Health Information Management - Associate
- Insurance Billing and Coding Specialist - Diploma, Associate
- Medical Coding - Diploma, Associate
Beyond our health sciences program, we offer additional bachelor’s degree options for allied health professionals looking to focus their careers towards healthcare management or information:
The best way to continue advancing your career in healthcare is furthering your education. Our health sciences bachelor’s degree program is designed to help you get there faster.
With Herzing University the next big step in your career IS possible.
No, you cannot become a nurse with a bachelor’s degree in health science. Nursing is a separate field from allied health. You’ll need to earn an associate or bachelor’s degree in nursing in order to become a registered nurse.
If you’re interested in becoming a nurse, consider a practical nursing diploma, associate in nursing or bachelor’s degree in nursing program. There are many pathways to a career in healthcare and Herzing University exists to help you go back to school and grow into the career of your dreams.
A BS in health science degree completion program (sometimes alternatively called a “health studies degree”) allows current healthcare workers to complete their bachelor’s degree faster and advance to the next level in their current healthcare specialty. Keep in mind our degree program is built for a career more than a single type of job. Job titles and their respective roles and responsibilities will vary by employer. Building a foundation in health sciences helps you explore many opportunities in allied health.
A bachelor’s degree in health science offers you the opportunity to pursue the career pathway of your choosing and begin making a real difference in public health & wellness. Learn more about what you can do with a degree in health science.
Health Sciences Degree Programs
Showing 1 programs for the Online campus
To learn more about this program, click the Request Info button to the right.
Ready to get started?
Contact us to request more information
I love Herzing University and I’m proud to be a part of the Herzing family. I chose the human resource management program because I have always been interested in a career in human resources.
Accreditation & Disclosures
Herzing University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (hlcommission.org), an institutional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook 2020. BLS estimates do not represent entry-level wages and/or salaries. Multiple factors, including prior experience, age, geography market in which you want to work and degree field, will affect career outcomes and earnings. Herzing neither represents that its graduates will earn the average salaries calculated by BLS for a particular job nor guarantees that graduation from its program will result in a job, promotion, salary increase or other career growth.