To succeed in computer programming, it’s helpful to have strong skills in computer languages, math, science and logic. In addition to these skills, coders also benefit from the following soft skills:
- Problem solving: By coding, computer programmers create solutions for different industry needs. They also test programs for bugs, trouble-shoot problems and fix any issues that appear, which is why problem solving is a necessary skill.
- Perseverance and patience: More often than not, programs won’t work on the first try. They need fine-tuning and adjustments, which is why patience is a good quality for computer programmers. And when fixing bugs, you will need perseverance to keep trying new solutions until the problem is resolved.
- Attention to detail: In computer programming, every letter and keystroke counts. One incorrect character can make an entire program not work. That’s why computer programmers and coders must have exceptional attention to detail.
- Communication skills: Computer programmers must create programs for a variety of industries and needs. That’s why it’s important to be able to communicate effectively with different groups to fully understand their needs and create effective solutions.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook 2022. BLS estimates do not represent entry-level wages and/or salaries. Multiple factors, including prior experience, age, geography market in which you want to work and degree field, will affect career outcomes and earnings. Herzing neither represents that its graduates will earn the average salaries calculated by BLS for a particular job nor guarantees that graduation from its program will result in a job, promotion, salary increase or other career growth.