The technology industry includes a variety of networking, data and computer support careers that are needed to keep organizations running smoothly. If you have a passion for programming, analytics and numbers, a career in technology might be right for you!
What types of technology degrees are out there?
Herzing offers several types of technology degrees in information technology and computer support. Here’s a look at each degree:
- Computer Networking: Develop networks that track and store data in a secure and user-friendly way.
- Computer Programming: Write and test computer code that allows computer software and programs to run properly.
- Cybersecurity: Maintain and protect a company’s data and monitor activity.
- Data Analytics: Provide professional support on a company’s infrastructure and data sources.
- Information Technology (IT): Oversee technology support operations at a company.
- Software Development: Code, develop, and maintain the innovation of web and mobile applications.
- Technology Management: Incorporate management skills with knowledge of technology systems and operations to keep an organization’s technology up and running.
Is it worth completing a degree in technology?
Many businesses prefer candidates who have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience for entry-level positions. Earning a bachelor’s degree in IT can help advance your career as it shows that you are committed to your specific industry. Having your bachelor’s degree may also make you eligible for some promotions and further advancement in your career.
Many businesses also look for employees who have certifications in programs like MCP, Security+. Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), Microsoft and CompTIA. According to a study from CompTIA, 91% of employers believe that IT certifications are a reliable predictor of a successful employee.
Herzing provides opportunities for certification for seven sought-after technology certifications.
What can I do with my degree? What jobs pay the best?
According to a report by U.S. News & World Report, there is a growing demand for tech workers because of the increasing use of technology both professionally and recreationally.
Software development is one career option available to you after completing your technology degree program. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), software developers earn an average annual wage of $132,930 and the career is projected to grow 26% from 2022-2032.*
Another career to consider is in IT Management. Computer and Information Systems Managers (IT managers) earn an average annual salary of $173,670 and are predicted to see 15% growth in employment according to the BLS from 2022-2032.*
Other potential information technology-related careers include:
- IT Support Technician
- Information Security Analyst
- Database Administrator
- Network Security Administrator
- Computer Programmer
- And many more!
How long does it take to get your degree?
It depends. If you’re interested in pursuing an associate degree, you can complete Herzing’s Technology Studies program in as little as 16 months. Following the completion of your degree, there are additional advancement pathways to continue your education.
At Herzing, you can complete your bachelor’s degree in as little as 32 months. If you have previous educational experience, you can transfer up to 90 credits to apply toward your degree. Herzing also offers dual credit towards our Masters of Business Administration in Technology Management (IT).
Herzing offers many technology programs online with multiple start dates throughout the year so that you can complete your education on your own time.