To be successful in human resources, you’ll need an education focused on human resources, organizational development, or business. In addition to that, specific skills that HR professionals benefit from include:
- Communication skills: As an HR professional, a major part of your role is communicating with employees. You must be able to express yourself clearly in both oral and written communications.
- Organizational skills: HR professionals must be extremely organized and able to manage different projects and programs.
- Decision-making skills: As an HR manager, you may be responsible for making important decisions regarding hiring and firing people, as well as company-wide rules and regulations.
- Training and development: Many people look to human resources to help provide guidance on training and career development. You should be able to either perform this training or help direct employees as they seek to grow their career.
- Teamwork: HR professionals often work with many different departments and are part of cross-functional teams. It’s important to be able to work well with others, to see their point of view, and work together to reach goals that will best help the company be successful.