When you love learning, you never have to stop. If you’ve earned a degree and have started your career, that doesn’t mean your education ends—it may only be getting started. To truly maximize your potential, consider the opportunities to extend your knowledge by working to earn new certifications.
To maintain your certification for some professions, you must begin acquiring continuing education units, maintain your certifications and stay on top of new opportunities as they present themselves. Here’s some of what you need to know to ensure you are making big strides in career-focused self-improvement:
What is a Continuing Education Unit?
Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are post-secondary education opportunities such as online courses, career training, and more. These helpful units can make a difference in careers in various fields including healthcare, business, legal studies and information technology.
Unlike other classes you may have taken, CEUs do not provide academic credit. Instead, they serve as an indicator of how much time you’ve spent acquiring field-specific skills. By earning qualifying credit hours from CEUs, motivated professionals earn valuable certifications. Some careers require professionals to have specific certifications, making it even more imperative to earn CEUs as soon as possible.
Even if you have already earned a certain certification, the statute of limitations could require you to retake the class every so often, to ensure you are as proficient as possible.
Why Should I Maintain My Certifications?
Earning a CEU and maintaining your certifications will completely transform your professional experience, and open up an abundance of opportunities for professionals to advance in their careers and potentially earn higher salaries. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, by advancing your education, you’re increasing your potential outcome, meaning that you’re putting yourself in a better position to climb the career ladder while supporting yourself and your family.
CEUs and certifications also have the power to set you apart from the competition when applying for a job. A certification will strengthen your resume, and your experience learning in the field will serve you well in future interviews, both for new jobs and advancing at your current organization. By earning CEUs, you’re demonstrating an admirable commitment to your field and your future.
Many in-demand careers require or prefer applicants to have updated certifications and experiences. Certifications serve as a reminder that professionals are updated and experienced enough to perform at a high-quality level. By taking the time to earn these valuable accreditations, you’re giving yourself a better chance of advancing in a career you love.
Tips for Earning Valuable Certifications
- Identify Goals: If you’re ready to take control of your future, start by outlining your goals and reasoning for earning CEUs. Are you earning a certification as a requirement? Or just trying to stay up to date in your field? No matter your motivation, you’re making a courageous step toward success.
- Utilize Resources: Once you’ve identified your motivation, use the resource available through your University. Herzing University has a wide selection of CEUs and certifications that span across a variety of fields, and are manageable for those with busy lifestyles.
- Pinpoint Your Timeline: Since there are a variety of timelines available for earning your certification, it’s beneficial to do sufficient research on what programs align with your schedule. Different professions include varying requirements for hours spent in a program. These small details can make a huge difference in your experience, so ensure you’re being thorough!
- Start Now! Give yourself the best chance at flourishing in the future by starting right now. Do enough research to formulate and execute a plan that coincides with your long-term goals. The sooner you start looking, the sooner you can enroll.
When it comes to investing in your future, there’s no better time to start than the present. Start looking into which certifications align with your goals and lifestyle today. Be proud of your commitment to a lifetime of learning, and channel your motivation in not only identifying the ideal program for you but excelling in it! Herzing University is proud to offer a variety of continuing education units to support your long-term professional goals.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook 2021. BLS estimates do not represent entry-level wages and/or salaries. Multiple factors, including prior experience, age, geography market in which you want to work and degree field, will affect career outcomes and earnings. Herzing neither represents that its graduates will earn the average salaries calculated by BLS for a particular job nor guarantees that graduation from its program will result in a job, promotion, salary increase or other career growth.