If you’re passionate about helping others, you might want to pursue a career in nursing. While many nurses complete their Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree, it’s not required to start your nursing career. One of the fastest pathways to a career in nursing is to earn your diploma in practical nursing, which can lead to a career as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN).
LPNs are an integral part of the healthcare community. They work closely alongside registered nurses (RNs) and physicians to provide patients with basic care. LPNs can take vital signs, change bandages, maintain patient records, and ensure patient comfort. LPNs have a lot of personal contact with patients and their families.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects an 9% employment increase for LPNs between 2020-2030. LPNs also ranked among the Best Healthcare Support Jobs in America in 2020 according to the U.S. News & World Report.
Here are a few benefits of starting your PN program today:
- Begin your career in a year! Other nursing career programs can take years to complete, but if you don’t have the luxury of time, you can complete your diploma in practical nursing at Herzing University in as little as 12 months.
- Get real-world experience. While completing your LPN, you receive real nursing experiences through a combination of coursework, clinicals and nursing simulations. Herzing students get to work with instructors and a variety of local healthcare partners who have real healthcare experience. You will have great opportunities to learn on the job!
- Earn a well-rounded education. In Herzing’s PN program, you’ll gain an understanding of ethical and legal issues as well as communication skills needed for a professional healthcare setting. You will also explore different nursing specialties, including surgical, obstetric, pediatric, geriatric and mental health care.
While earning your practical nursing diploma won’t take you as long as an Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN) or BSN degree, you will still have a great foundation for a nursing career. Here are three reasons to get your diploma as an LPN:
1. You’ll qualify for the NCLEX-PN.
After completing your program, you’ll qualify for the National Council Licensing Examination for Practical Nurses exam (NCLEX-PN), which is required to become a Licensed Practical Nurse. Once you pass the NCLEX, you are officially a licensed nurse and qualified to work in a variety of healthcare fields.
2. Work in a variety of healthcare settings.
LPNs are at the forefront of patient care. Nearly 38% of all LPN’s worked in nursing and residential care facilities in 2018 according to the BLS. While many LPNs work in nursing homes, they can work in a variety of other healthcare settings including hospitals, colleges and physician’s offices.
3. Advance your career.
Becoming an LPN can provide you with valuable hands-on experience in the field. However, if you’re interested in growing your career, Herzing’s practical nursing curriculum is designed so that students who wish to advance their nursing education have several pathways available. You can advance your career and become an RN by getting your ASN degree in as few as 20 months, or your BSN degree in as few as three years. Herzing is transfer-friendly! Herzing may accept transfer credits from previous coursework, work experience and training to help save you time and give you a head start on your career goals.
Becoming a nurse may not be easy but it’s worth it! Learn more about Herzing’s LPN pathway to jumpstart your career today.