Software developers conceptualize, design, code and produce the programs we use every day.
The specific tasks and duties of a software developer will vary depending on the employer and industry. Generally, software developers do the following:
- Evaluate user needs to determine whether they will need existing, modified, or new software
- Plan out each part of an application or system, creating diagrams and models of how the program will flow and which programming languages will be used
- Direct the work of software programmers as they code and test the program
- Create reference documentation so the program can be upgraded and maintained
- Conduct testing of the program and create regular updates
* Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook 2022. BLS estimates do not represent entry-level wages and/or salaries. Multiple factors, including prior experience, age, geography market in which you want to work and degree field, will affect career outcomes and earnings. Herzing neither represents that its graduates will earn the average salaries calculated by BLS for a particular job nor guarantees that graduation from its program will result in a job, promotion, salary increase or other career growth.