Herzing University Celebrates New School Year with Annual Supply Donations
For the fourth consecutive year, Herzing University has provided thousands of backpacks full of school supplies to help prepare children for the upcoming school year.
Throughout July and August, Herzing campuses distributed more than 3,000 backpacks. The backpacks and supplies were provided to children at events in Wisconsin, Ohio, Florida, Georgia, Minnesota, Alabama and Louisiana. Some campuses also organized back-to-school parties and open house events for local families.
Families with children in elementary through high school are spending more than ever on back-to-school items, reaching an average of nearly $700 per household, according to the National Retail Federation.
“It’s essential for children to have the tools they need to succeed in the classroom, and we’re proud to do our part in each of our campus communities,” said Herzing University President Renee Herzing. “We’re committed to helping individuals reach their full potential. Being prepared and engaged in school in early, formative years is critical to each person’s lifelong learning and success.”
- July 16: Herzing-Atlanta organized a back-to-school bash that included backpacks and lunch for 300 members of the Boys & Girls Club of Metro Atlanta.
- July 20: Herzing-Orlando offered two ice cream socials for students, allowing each person to take home two backpacks full of school supplies for loved ones.
- July 26: Herzing-Birmingham provided 500 children with backpacks full of school supplies at the A G Gaston Boys & Girls Club.
- July 26: Herzing-New Orleans celebrated the new school year with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Southeast Louisiana at the NFL-YET Club, giving away treats and backpacks.
- August: Herzing-Kenosha participated in two community events, donating a total of 500 backpacks at events at the local Boys and Girls Club and at a back-to-school picnic organized by Veterans Together Charity Forever Inc.
- Aug. 9: Herzing-Akron visited area Boys and Girls Clubs and donated backpacks to members in the morning. The day ended with a back-to-school bonanza and open house at the university campus, featuring free haircuts for kids and emergency vehicles to explore.
- Aug. 13: Herzing-Minneapolis participated in the National Night Out event at the Jerry Gamble Boys and Girls Club.
- Aug. 28: Herzing-Madison donated supplies and backpacks, and will visit local middle schools to drop off the donations with the Boys and Girls Club on Sept. 4.
Herzing University – founded by former Club member Henry Herzing – has been closely involved with Boys & Girls Clubs for many years. In 2012, Renee Herzing began serving on the Greater Milwaukee Clubs’ board of trustees.
Many of our campuses work closely with their local Club chapters throughout the year and often award scholarships to select members, staff and volunteers.
Thank you to all the students, faculty and staff that participated!