For students completing a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) and Post Graduate nursing program, securing their clinical placement can be a moment of great pride, but it can also be a stressor and something constantly in the back of their minds. At Herzing University, we understand that nursing students already have plenty to worry about, and securing their required clinical placement shouldn’t become something else to add to the pile. That is why we offer the Clinical Placement Pledge to every graduate nursing student.
What is the Herzing Clinical Placement Pledge?
Our pledge is simple, but it also underscores our commitment to you:
Herzing is so confident in its MSN and Post Graduate nursing programs that Herzing will pledge that if an MSN or Post Graduate nursing student is unable to secure a clinical site and preceptor, Herzing will refund all tuition incurred for the MSN or Post Graduate nursing program to that MSN or Post Graduate nursing student to date.
That’s a responsibility we take seriously, and we will do everything we can to assist you in locating not just a clinical site and preceptor, but one that fits with your current pathway and the career you’ve always come to envision yourself thriving in.
But, now that you know our pledge to you, what are the other hidden secrets you need to know to get the most out of your clinicals experience when yours begins?
The Importance of Nursing Clinicals
The clinical experience is where you'll truly blossom as a nursing professional, which is why we've made it a key program requirement of the programs within the Herzing University School of Nursing. No matter which of the many specializations you focus on — Adult-Gerontology Acute Care, Adult-Gerontology Primary Care, Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health, Nursing Leadership and Administration, Nurse Education, or Pediatric Nurse Practitioner — the clinical hours may vary, but the result is always impactful.
Our focus is on empowering you to tailor your clinical hours partnered with your course requirements and personal schedule through open communication between you and your preceptor. Your dreams and goals matter to us, and together, we'll craft a schedule that works best for you.
Through the Clinical Guidance Process, students enrolled in Herzing’s nursing programs are educated to secure their own preceptor and clinical sites, establish stronger work relationships, have greater networking opportunities, and help avoid long travel commutes. But when you need the help of those who have been there before, our clinical coordinators are here to assist.
The Clinical Guidance Process
As you begin to think about your clinicals, or even once you’ve gotten started, there will be plenty of questions you might have. Herzing’s Student Services and Clinical Placement Departments are always here for advice and counsel as you settle into this most important period of your education.
Key Steps to Know Along the Way:
- Approximately 6 months before the start of the term, students will be sent a clinical application reminder via email that contains a link to the resource page and the initial application deadline. Should a student have any questions, students can choose to set up a call with their specified clinical placement advisor to discuss all requirements and what to expect from their clinical experiences.
- It’s crucial that students start looking at their options early. Students are encouraged to take advantage of networking tools, such as LinkedIn, to contact healthcare professionals and build relationships that can lead to a clinical placement or future career opportunity. Additionally, students can connect with their professors about their own clinical experiences to gain further insight.
- If students are currently employed with a healthcare provider, they may complete their clinical rotations at their place of employment, but they cannot be completed during their paid working hours.
- For students having difficulties finding clinical opportunities, don’t fret! Our clinical coordination team will work in collaboration with the student utilizing the Clinical Guidance Process to help secure a placement before the start of the term. With Herzing’s extensive list of partnerships, our clinical has access to a long list of healthcare organizations that have worked with Herzing students in the past. In the rare case that local opportunities are limited, we won't hesitate to explore out-of-state options. *
- Upon approval of the site and preceptor from the clinical coordination team, Herzing will secure the required contracts and agreements needed for student placement.
* At least four months prior to the start of the clinical rotation a student MUST schedule a clinical coaching call to be eligible for the clinical pledge and also have contacted every clinical site Herzing has an affiliation agreement with in their area prior to the call.
And remember, all along the way, you have our commitment to you in the form of our Clinical Placement Pledge and the service we provide to you throughout your coursework and every day at Herzing University. We are dedicated to supporting you in your clinical journey and ensuring that every student has a fair opportunity to succeed. We are in this together and we cannot wait to watch the incredible journey you have started to walk!
Interested in more information on enrollment or the next steps to securing your clinical placement and preceptor? Visit your local campus page or contact the Student Services Department to connect with a clinical coordinator.