Defining your dream job can be intimidating. Maybe you are driven to do something fulfilling, invigorating, and rewarding, but you don’t know what that something is. It can seem daunting, but there is a valuable and attainable resource that can help propel you to the job you were always meant to do. A Master of Social Work (MSW) degree creates opportunities for personal and professional growth with access to a variety of rewarding career paths.
Consider an MSW like a master key for careers — something capable of unlocking a multitude of doors leading to specialized and exciting job possibilities. Discover the benefits behind earning your MSW degree and how to take the next step toward your dream job.
The Benefits of a Master of Social Work (MSW) Degree
A Master of Social Work can completely change the course of your career trajectory. Those who thrive in social work are often empathetic, organized, patient, and communicative. A main motivator for those in social work is the ability to enhance the lives of others and provide a stabilizing resource for all types of individuals from children, families, people with disabilities, veterans, and the elderly. Plus, earning a master’s degree offers new ways to obtain higher pay, greater career progression, and increased job skills and security.
Job Opportunities Opened with an MSW Degree
Herzing University offers three specializations within the MSW program; mental health, medical social work and children, families and aging services. Each specialization is clinically focused and prepares graduates for the types of high-demand jobs they’ll experience post-graduation. Students also gain real-world learning opportunities through working with clients in a variety of healthcare settings, such as hospitals, counseling centers, schools, government and community agencies, and across local and regional protective services. Learn more about the different pathways available for those earning their MSW in one of our three specializations.
- Mental Health
- Graduates with a specialization in mental health are prepared to work with clients of all ages using a variety of methodologies. Children and adolescent therapists, trauma therapists, substance use therapists, forensic social workers, and crisis response social workers are additional career paths in this field.
- Medical Social Work
- The medical specialization prepares graduates with essential skills to work in a variety of medical settings and across community health-related agencies. Additional jobs in this area include pediatric medical social worker, oncology social worker, hospice social worker, and ER social worker
- Children, Family and Aging Services.
- Those who work in children, family and aging services are trusted to advocate for the emotional, mental, and physical wellbeing of patients of all ages. Common applications of this job include careers as a child advocate, domestic violence social worker, school social worker, family therapist, geriatric social worker and community crisis responder.
Another benefit of earning a Master of Social Work degree is that you don’t need any kind of previous social work experience to earn your degree. You can take the steps now to enter the career field in as little as 24 months — positioning yourself for greater career success.
Herzing University has a brand-new Master of Social Work degree program, held completely online. The program, designed for non-social work bachelor’s degree holders, covers core topics including human behavior in the social environment, social policy and services, advanced clinical social work interventions and more. We also offer an Advanced Standing track for those who already have earned a BSW.
Enrich the lives of your community by beginning your journey to an MSW degree right now.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook 2021. BLS estimates do not represent entry-level wages and/or salaries. Multiple factors, including prior experience, age, geography market in which you want to work and degree field, will affect career outcomes and earnings. Herzing neither represents that its graduates will earn the average salaries calculated by BLS for a particular job nor guarantees that graduation from its program will result in a job, promotion, salary increase or other career growth.