Do you want to make a difference? Are you interested in the healthcare field? Do you enjoy helping others, but don’t want to be a nurse or doctor? Are you looking to advance your healthcare career—or start a new career in a growing field? If you answered yes to any of those questions, a bachelor’s degree in health sciences (BSHS) might be right for you.
What is a health science degree?
A health science degree is a flexible degree that equips students with the knowledge and skills needed to work in various areas in the healthcare field, such as:
- Health and wellness
- Health education
- Instruction in fitness and exercise
- Disease prevention
- Personal health
Health science is an allied health degree, which means it focuses on professions that are distinct from nursing and medicine. Many of these professions are focused on non-patient occupations such as medical assistants, occupational therapists, radiologic technologists and dental hygienists. If you’re interested in pursuing a career in nursing, then a health science degree is not the degree for you.
Here are three reasons why you should consider getting your health science degree:
1. There are a variety of job prospects.
While some healthcare degrees have a very narrow focus of study on a particular career path, you can explore many different career options with a health science degree. Herzing’s program allows you to shape your degree emphasis with two healthcare electives. Overall, the program is designed for a career rather than a single type of job. Job titles can vary by employer and career.
Current healthcare workers in many different types of allied health occupations can advance their career with a bachelor’s degree in health sciences, including:
- Emergency medical technicians
- Surgical technologists
- Medical billers and coders
- Dental assistants
- Physical or occupational therapy assistants
- Respiratory therapists
A health science degree provides a solid foundation in the sciences and offers you the opportunity to pursue the career pathway of your choosing. With your degree, you can make a real difference in the healthcare community.
2. You’ll join a growing field.
Healthcare is a large and growing career field. According to U. S. News and World Report, healthcare careers dominate the top jobs for 2020, and the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) predicts that healthcare careers will grow 14% from 2018 to 2028 and create 1.9 million jobs.
Earning a bachelor’s degree is worth the investment and can help you better compete for job opportunities in the healthcare field. The BLS reports that individuals who have a bachelor's degree or higher had lower unemployment than individuals who only had their associate or high school diploma. They also tend to earn a higher salary than other graduates. The average bachelor’s degree graduate earns a median wage of $1,250 weekly.
3. You have the opportunity to continue your education.
While earning your bachelor’s degree can help you advance your career in new and exciting ways, you can also choose to continue your education with a master’s degree. Herzing’s health science degree program typically takes 32 months to complete. You can also use that time to begin earning dual credits toward your Masters in Business Administration (MBA). Herzing offers six concentrations in such areas as healthcare management and project management. Your health science degree provides you with the education and skills for a solid career foundation.
What are the requirements for a degree?
Herzing’s health science degree is an excellent choice for students from different walks of life. Here’s how you can qualify for the program:
- You have an associate in the healthcare field. Students who already have their associate degree in a healthcare-related field can use the degree to advance their career to potential managerial roles. If you’re interested in exploring other career options, this degree program could be the perfect opportunity to see what other careers are available to you.
- You already have a non-healthcare related degree. You might already have a degree or career in a non-health related field and are interested in pursuing your career in healthcare. A health science degree is an ideal way for you to potentially qualify for numerous entry-level healthcare professions.
- You are interested in getting your bachelor’s degree. Pursuing a health science degree can give you a broad, foundational healthcare education and prepare you for your allied career path.
To start at Herzing, you also need to complete your high school diploma or complete a GED or equivalent program and will need to interview with a Herzing admission advisor and complete an enrollment form. At Herzing, we accept transfer credits, so some of your previous education and work experience may transfer over. The program is offered 100% online with an applied capstone and internship, so you can complete your degree on your own time!