Available through Herzing University Online
Become possible with Herzing University Online.
Choose an online nursing school who supports your career success. Herzing University offers online BSN and online graduate-level nursing programs for current registered nurses interested in forging a new career path. Take the first step with a lifelong partner in learning.
Address275 W. Wisconsin Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53203
Call us(866) 508-0748
Become a Nurse
How do I become a registered nurse (RN)?
Earning a degree in nursing is your first step to becoming a registered nurse. Requirements include passing the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) exam and meeting the Board of Nursing requirements in your state of residence.
How long it takes
Minimum TEAS score3
How much you can make
9% projected job growth5
- Bachelor’s and master's degree options available. Varies depending on your eligible transferrable college credit.
- Students with 18 or more transferable collegiate credits will be assessed on their collegiate cumulative GPA. Otherwise, the high school GPA will be used.
- Applicant must achieve a minimum score on the most current version of the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS); TEAS score must be from within two years of anticipated date of matriculation. Students with a 3.00 GPA or higher may not be required to take the TEAS. Please contact us for more details.
- Average / mean pay in US, according to 2021 data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). BLS estimates do not represent entry-level wages and/or salaries. Multiple factors, including prior experience, age, geography market in which you want to work and degree field, will affect career outcomes and earnings. Herzing neither represents that its graduates will earn the average salaries calculated by BLS for a particular job nor guarantees that graduation from its program will result in a job, promotion, salary increase or other career growth.
- Nationwide 2020 – 2030 estimate for Registered Nurses, according to the BLS.
Nursing school is unlike any other educational program, and it’s a completely different way of thinking. There are a lot of gray areas in nursing school, and that was something I really struggled with. Herzing helped a lot - the professors truly care for their students.
Frequently Asked Questions
Increasingly yes, but it ultimately depends on the institution who issued the degree.
As the popularity of online degrees continues to rapidly trend upward in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, so has mainstream acceptance of online degree programs.
Attitudes toward online degrees were already becoming more positive before the pandemic forced the issue. According to a 2019 study from Northeastern University, 61 percent of HR leaders say online learning is “of equal or greater quality to more traditional methods.” More than half believe that in the future, most advanced degrees will be online.
Regarding nursing applicants who earned online degrees, there are a few important factors employers consider:
- The school and degree program’s accreditation. Herzing University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and programmatically accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).i
- If you have earned nursing licensure. Our programs are designed to help you pass any necessary exams and become licensed before getting your first job.
- The school’s reputation and history of producing excellent employees. Consider our many happy graduates and 50+ years producing more than 40,000 alumni.
For all these reasons employers know what it means when they see “Herzing University” on a resume!
i. Programmatic accreditation varies by program and by campus location. Find details about all Herzing University accreditations and approvals.
We have a variety of start dates throughout the year. Check out your program of interest to find out how soon you can get started.
You can also take a look at our undergraduate admissions process, contact an admissions advisor or apply today!
Herzing University is dedicated to providing you with affordable, quality education to help you complete your degree in nursing.
The cost of our nursing programs varies by degree, location and program. More information and an estimate for the cost of your education can be found on our Herzing Tuition Wizard.
Students attending Herzing may be eligible for a combination of grants, scholarships, and student employment to make tuition as affordable as possible. You might also be eligible to qualify for federal financial aid or military benefits and services. Contact us directly for more information.
Accreditation varies by nursing degree program and the Herzing campus where it is offered.*
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing at Herzing University Atlanta, Brookfield, Kenosha, Madison, Minneapolis, New Orleans, and Orlando are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org). This accreditation includes the baccalaureate degree program offered at the satellite Herzing University Tampa location.
The master’s degree program in nursing and post-graduate APRN certificate program at Herzing University Madison are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).
Herzing University is approved to offer programs in an online learning modality through association with the main campus in Madison, Wisconsin.
For more information about accreditation, please check out our nursing programs to discover the program that interests you!
None of our nursing programs may be completed entirely online.
Here’s why: real experience in the field is critical to your success as a nurse. Your clinical experience is vital to becoming qualified for the job and excel immediately in your new career.
Many classes may be completed online, such as in our online BSN program or online MSN Direct Entry program, but it is your hands-on clinicals that will provide you with the best experience to prepare you for your career in nursing. Herzing University provides you with the best of both worlds.
Contact us to determine the program or course of study that will work best for you!
Herzing University is dedicated to YOU. Here at Herzing, we are career-focused, convenient and caring. Our specialized nursing programs were designed to help you achieve the career that you want in nursing at an affordable price.
Herzing offers diploma, undergraduate and graduate nursing degrees across 8 states at 11 different campuses and our online program, so you can choose the program and location.
But don’t take our word for it! Hear from current and graduated students who agree that Herzing helped them attain their educational and career goals.
General requirements for our ASN, BSN, and MSN degrees vary across degree programs.
Requirements to enroll in undergraduate degree programs (ASN/ADN, BSN) include a high school diploma or equivalent and a minimum GPA requirement.
Most programs also require an interview with a Herzing admissions advisor before acceptance. Conditional admission may also be available for interested students who are waiting to take the National Council Licensing Exam (NCLEX).
For specific requirements, choose the program at the campus location that you are most interested in, or get in contact with a local admissions advisor.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary for registered nurses is $82,750 per year ($39.78 per hour)*. Nurses with a bachelor’s degree tend to fall on the upper side of that average due to their advanced education and their qualification to help hospitals earn Magnet Recognition.
The BLS projects a 6% increase in need for registered nurses from 2021-2031*. RNs are in demand, and earning a BSN can help your resume stand out and give you a better chance of getting the job you really want.
There are a wide variety of different career paths in nursing, and depending on what makes the most sense for you there are several different types of nursing degrees you may consider:
- Diploma in Practical Nursing. The fastest way to start your nursing career is to earn a diploma in practical nursing and become a Licensed Practical Nurse. This isn’t a “degree” but it’s an alternative starting point if you’re ready to get your feet wet in nursing.
- Associate degree in nursing. Earn an associate’s degree in nursing and you’ll be eligible to site for the NCLEX and become a Registered Nurse (RN).
- Bachelor’s in nursing. A bachelor’s degree is becoming the new educational standard for registered nurses, and it will qualify you for a master’s degree program.
- Master’s in nursing. Many roles up the ladder in nursing will require a master’s degree.
- Doctorate in nursing. Earn the terminal degree in nursing and reach the top of the field.
All schools have their own distinct degree programs based on their qualifications and expertise. Herzing University offers many different options to provide the shortest path to your destination no matter where you are right now, including campus bridge programs and online programs to help you reach the next level in your education. View all of our nursing programs.
Accreditation & Disclosures
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing, master’s degree program in nursing, and post-graduate APRN certificate program at Herzing University Madison are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org). Herzing University is approved to offer programs in an online learning modality through association with the main campus in Madison, Wisconsin.